How can i help prevent hiccups for my three week old?

He gets hiccups everytime i feed him. sometimes i will lay him down and he will wake up thirty minutes later with hiccups.

AmandaPearL24

Asked by AmandaPearL24 at 11:33 AM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can't sorry :(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• If you are brestfeeding, youcan easily get rid of them by having him nurse a short while. If you are not, try very little warm water with VERY LITTLE sugar.
    Cene

Answer by Cene at 11:37 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I tried everything, it really bothered my son, BUT we all gotta go through it sorry...
    The most effective thing for me, was make a fool of myself to distract him =]
    xandersmama22

Answer by xandersmama22 at 11:44 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Usually when my son got the hiccups it was because he had gotten too much air from a previous bottle. Make sure you hold the bottle upright so that no air is getting into the nipple. Your little one may just get the hiccups a lot! =]
    lanesmommy08

Answer by lanesmommy08 at 12:08 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• It's normal for babies to get hiccups. Try to make sure that he has a good burp before you lay him down. My daughter used to get them all the time but I found that if I burp her good most of the time that would help sometime though they go to sleep before you can burp them so I used to nurse her for a few minutes and that would stop it. The best way to prevent it that I found is getting a good burp.
    Mom2Carra

Answer by Mom2Carra at 1:02 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• You cannot really prevent them. My son used to get them all of the time and would get upset about having hiccups. We got Gripe Water at our local health food store. It took the hiccups right away! They also sell it at places like Wal-Mart, if you shop there.
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 1:44 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• If you blow in their face, they hold their breath and it regulates their breathing. You can also put a blanket over their face, and play peeka boo, it does the same thing. They hold their breath when their face is covered.
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 2:16 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• my second had hicupps the whole last 3 months of my pregnancy, and every day till he was 3 months, then they just stopped.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 2:25 PM on Dec. 10, 2008