I am 57 years old and faced with a hysterectomy that I have managed to avoid for several years. I would really like to hear from fit women who have had this surgery. What was your outcome? And would you do it now knowing the outcome?

jander

Asked by jander at 11:39 AM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Health

• i had to have one done 2 yrs ago and if i had to do it all over again i would . the operation went well and i have had no problems from it since and i am glad i did it. i was 38 when i had to have it done/
    janice3ds

Answer by janice3ds at 11:42 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I didn't have one, but my mom did. She was 37. She had a very good outcome, was in the hospital over night and off work for six weeks. She didn't gain or lose too much weight and got to go back to her normal schedule. She's been very good since, she doesn't regret it a tall.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 11:45 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I am 25 years old and facing a hysterectomy I am also very scared (I wanted another baby :( !! )...My mother also had one at the age of 32. She had very good results and she said that she was sad because she always dreamed of having another child, she was happy that all her pain was gone.  Good luck!!

Anonymous

• I sent you a PM because my answer was way too long. I think I covered most of the bases including what I experienced as far as pain, length of recovery, when sex was OK, etc.
    casseopeia

Answer by casseopeia at 1:51 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I had my hysterectomy at 33 I had to make a choice of pain and bleeding for over a year every day or the surgery. We had and have 2 children although I would had loved to have another, I was told no more or you or your child or both could not survive it. I made the right choice. I still feel like a real woman and nothing much has changed except for no more menses. Which is alright with me. Yes I had a surigal menopause but At least it wa short and didn't last for years. Of course only you can decide but I think that with our answers you will get an idea of what it is like. Good Luck and Health to you Sister Mum

decafsis

Answer by decafsis at 2:44 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I had a hysterectomy at 38...I wish they would have done it sooner!!! I feel sooooo much better!!
    emf6874

Answer by emf6874 at 11:24 PM on Dec. 10, 2008