DO you have any moral absolutes in your life?

Who says that they are wrong? From where do you get this moral compass that determines if something is right, or if it's wrong?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 4:26 PM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes, I have moral absolutes and my moral compass is the Word of God.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 11:28 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• It's a simple concept... Living life in the best way that you can imagine, not doing anything which will intentionally, or knowingly cause harm or hardship to those around you.

Really, is bad behavior that hard to discern from good? Really?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:31 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I'm an orthodox Jew, so my moral compass is the Torah. And yes, for me it is absolute.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 4:33 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I don't believe in moral absolutes. I believe all people are capable of anything at all times. They just haven't been pushed to the breaking point yet. It is easy to be good when times are good. It is easy to believe in absolutes when we are living a typical middle class existence. Much harder to believe in those absolutes if our children were hungry, if we ourselves are starving. Or if our children or ourselves are victims of violence or war. Moral absolutes go down the drain in those situations.
    lilangilyn

Answer by lilangilyn at 6:51 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• My moral compass is my heart. I don't care who says it's wrong or right...what matters is if I think it's wrong or right.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 6:53 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• nope

There are no blacks or whites...only grays.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 6:10 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Ask 100 different people and you'll probably get 100 different answers. I do see most of the world in black and white, right or wrong.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:41 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I do not believe in absolutes, moral or otherwise (unless we are discussing math.. lol).

For me to believe in absolutes, that means that I believe that I would have the same answer/response/reaction regardless of situation/circumstances. Which, I know that would not be true.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 7:18 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• My moral compass comes from a variety of sources- my upbringing, my religion and my life experiences- but honestly- mostly I use common sense-
    My dos and don't are pretty simple-

Who says they are wrong? Who cares-?
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 4:38 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I have no absolutes - they violate my religion. I have some very strong leanings one direction or another, but to say that one possesses enough knowledge about ANYTHING to have an absolute position on it for any circumstance is hubris.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:34 PM on Jun. 6, 2011