Is it mean that I pointed out that spelling a kids name Chloje, for chloe, is pointless.....

I said she might as well spell it chloxe with a silent x
if she is going to spell it chloje with a silent j.

I just feel like I'm pointing out the obvious

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 5:01 PM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Baby Names

• "disassociate'' wasn't the word i meant..but it sounded good. lol! perhaps i meant ''dizzasochyatej''.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:04 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I never got giving a kid a "normal" name with a crazy spelling.... it just means the kid will have to explain their name for the rest of their lives.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 5:03 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Depends, is it already a done deal, is the child here or is she still pg? If still pg and she is a close friend or family member, maybe not. If she's not close to you, kinda rude, and if the child is already born and its a done deal, rude too, cause she can't change it now.

FWIW, I totally agree with you and absolutely hate ridiculous name spellings. Such a grasp at being "unique" so dumb. Just a life of misspellings in line for these kids.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 5:04 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• you did. and its the same with a lot of name-spelling. people get crazy and stupid, trying to disassociate their child's name from another's. its just crazy and stupid.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:03 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I know you and I are on the same page, my name is Kim, and I had about 30 others in my school, a girl changed hers to Kym, to be different,, uGGGGH,, you will never be able to find a name magnent at disney,, LOL!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 5:06 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• A silent J? In ENGLISH? Even if it were to be pronounces like Spanish, you'd still be saying Chlo-he. People say that they give their child an unusual spelling to be unique, but people don't see the spelling when they see the child. They see the spelling BEFORE they meet the child, though---for example, their teachers in school or on college or job applications, and is THAT the first impression that you want to make on somebody?
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 5:37 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I am with you guys...it just confuses everyone. kids have a hard enough time learning to spell their names. Why complicate it more!!
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 5:15 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I agree about crazy spellings. It just makes like miserable for the kids later. However, in spanish the j is pronounced like an h. Not that it's any better but maybe that's what they were thinking.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:19 PM on Jun. 6, 2011