Does anyone know how to tell the difference between a male and a female ringneck pheasants (young)?

My hubby ordered some ringneck pheasants and I'm not sure how to tell the diff. in between them. I think they all look alike. lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:43 PM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Pets

• Its litterally a guessing game untill they are at least 15 wks old until there colors start comming in...of course males are colorful with the greens and golds and females are tans and browns...also males are the only sex that grow spurs on the back of thier legs and the longer and darker almost blacker and sharper the older the rooster...juvanile roosters have tan colored spurs that r rounded and blunt cuz they are still growin of course...hope this helps sorry if they r still to young but hey they r still fun to watch
    Chandralee

Answer by Chandralee at 6:19 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Yeah, I'm thinking the males are the colorful ones - I assume he is using them to train a dog? Or are they just for good eating?
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:01 PM on Jun. 8, 2011