A gay teen describes her experience at a Utah brainwashing facility

Link to story.

Be warned, it's a bit lengthy.

Basically, a teen age lesbian was forced into this program, verbally and psychologically abused and wants to bring attention to the place. 

An excerpt from the article, "He (The founder) went on to say that he had “nothing against homosexuality, but it was not the way God intended things.” and that the Bible definitely did not condone it. These “God” and bible references were used on a regular basis, along with religious videos, praying, etc. even though Cross Creek claimed that they were not in any way religious. The rule book and protocol also appeared to be directly based off of the Mormon religion (no caffeine etc.) The program reprimanded children for telling their parents about this religious influence and regularly tried to hide it from parents. I am in no way against people having their own beliefs and following what ever religion is right for them, however I think that it’s completely and totally immoral to lie to parents about what they are getting."

As a parent, if you felt your child needed to be sent to a facility like this, what kind of investigating would you do to make sure that your child was not treated this way? Do you think there is any way to thoroughly know whether or not your child will be treated appropriately? 

What do you think should happen here?

clarity333

Asked by clarity333 at 5:49 PM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I don't understand places like this but I'm more disturbed by parents who actually send their children to them. They would not be able to exist if they had no clients.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 6:00 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I think there needs to be investigation son the parents that send their kids to these "camps'
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:56 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I think the alleged lie is the least important issue here. Let's face it, there is no such thing as a non-religious reprogramming camp and there is nobody who would use one who wasn't using it for religious reasons. Maybe there could be a quibble about the "wrong" denomination, but that's about it. That doesn't mean parents (or the camp) won't claim otherwise after the fact to try and distance themselves from their religious convictions in public.

I also don't see how something like that could be anything BUT emotionally abusive, so the idea of "checking it out" seems rather moot. It would be like checking to see if cheerleading camp was going to involve cheering.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:58 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• i don't see how any investigating of a program like this would show 'appropriate' treatment..its not something i'd encourage, much less condone in the first place (the brainwashing).
    "..reprimanded children for telling their parents about this religious influence and regularly tried to hide it from parents."..this tells much!
    IMO, any parent willing to send their child to a place such as this isn't really interested in how their child is treated during the duration of treatment. if the objective is to change the child, i'd think the parents would be ok with whatever means was necessary.
    again, as a parent, i'd object to the entire ordeal. (yeah, i skimmed it..i may reread it.)
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:02 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Well as a parent I would never send my child to any facility because of who they love. Now if they have a drug problem psychological issues, etc. That may cause them danger then I would. This is sick the facility should be shut down and these types of things should not be allowed.,
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 6:24 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• just from reading how they take the "bad kid" im done...thats so very disgusting that any truly loving parent thinks thats okay.

i would never send my kid to something like this for being gay, but if they were all but criminal & always doing drugs i would consider a facility, but not a religious one. and i would do countless research before & during their stay. i would need to be allowed to visit whenever to ensure they werent doing anything inappropriate. and they would NEVER be allowed to traumatize my child by making them think they were being kidnapped...so very sick!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 7:41 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• itsme, she was sent there to be "deprogrammed" from being gay. your question is troubling, it's like you're implying something a kid could have done would justify this.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 2:35 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I do believe that the place should be investigated, under cover if necessary, to find out what really goes on in those places. If my daughter were in need of a drug-rehab program, I'd want her to be treated with respect and dignity to the greatest extent possible, and most definitely wouldn't want her to be brainwashed to any faith or otherwise abused physically, mentally or emotionally. I can't imagine sending a child to a facility because of her sexuality--unless it were a matter of another sort of addiction.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 7:51 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• That's horrible! I'm with okmanders ... I could get past the first part.

This place claims to be Christian?!?!? I don't see any fruit of the Holy Spirit, so I would have to say (just based on this testimony) that it's not Christian. I mean they may CALL themselves Christian, but their actions speak louder than their words. That is a disgusting and barbaric treatment of "troubled teens." One thing that I noticed especially was that they forbid from having female relationships. I fail to see how this helps anything. The bond between women is their for a reason. God designed us that way. I'm certainly not talking about a lesbian relationship, but we are created as relational creatures ... we MUST interact with each other. What they do is beyond damaging.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 10:38 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• As a parent, if you felt your child needed to be sent to a facility like this, what kind of investigating would you do to make sure that your child was not treated this way?

IF I felt that I need to do this sort of "treatment" (and that a BIG IF), my investigating would go DEEP. I'm very particular about what is taught and especially about what various churches call Biblical. I wouldn't just call up the first the school of "troubled teens," ask if they identify themselves as Christian, and then leave it that. That's highly irresponsible.

Do you think there is any way to thoroughly know whether or not your child will be treated appropriately?

I don't know ... But I would imagine that my child would need to trust me well enough to be able to tell me if they were treated inappropriately. I did go to the school's website, and noticed that their "testimonials" were space and the majority of them were from "parents" or from ...
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 10:42 PM on Jun. 6, 2011