S/O of the immoral question

Since the troll landed on it, most people have stopped reading it (not that I blame them). It has led to this thought though. This constant insistence people have that they must "defend their faith" when they really mean they must defend themselves from people who disagree with them personally. How does that behavior coincide with Philippians 2?

3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, 4 not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.

If you insist that someone disagreeing with you personally requires you to "defend your faith", even as others who practice your same faith are disagreeing with you, how are you acting in the interests of others, rather than your own vanity?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 6:37 PM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I think its pride i know when i start going at it with someone its because your not going to make me look stupid or like i cant handle myself. My thing is you shouldn't have to defend God or your religion someones always going to talk bad about it but if its true and something great people will see through all the b.s. said about it. But i do understand when a lie is being said about it or someone twisting it you do have a right to say they are taking it out of content or just straight out lying. I wuldnt stand by and listen to lies.

whitenena

Answer by whitenena at 6:45 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• It's all about ego. When one feels as if someone is insinuating their beliefs could be "wrong" the egotistical side of them takes over. It becomes about proving another wrong, in order to feel they are "right". It's not about one's spirituality, or defending ones faith...its about feeding the ego and feeling superior.
    And I am SURE my answer will offend some people's egos and I will be shown just how "wrong' I am, LOL.

But hey, thats just my opinion.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:38 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I've never understood the whole concept of defending your faith. Why does it need defending? If it's so right, then shouldn't a person be secure in knowing that they are on the right path? Why the need to alwaysbe on the defense? My guess is that those people are just very insecure in their own beliefs (though they say they are not... another sign of their insecurity), and they have to keep pounding their beliefs into other people's brains in order to validate what they believe.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 8:21 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I think this is a valid question. A debate can easily get personal if it's touched a nerve and surely pride gets in the way. I saw a tweet by John Piper that read (I'm paraphrasing), that to avoid the controversy of Christ is cowardice, but to be glad in the controversy of Christ is prideful. But then he also said, "Walking in the light does not mean sinlessness. It means seeing our sin, confessing, and fighting it as forgiven (1Jo 1:7-9)"

Even we Christians sin .... we need to see it, confess, and fight against it.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 9:03 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I never feel the need to "defend my faith", but I will, however, contend FOR my faith when need be just as Paul did. That said, in the verse you quoted above, Paul was actually attempting to correct any misunderstanding that may have arose from what he said earlier in the letter about some preaching out of selfish motives. He was concerned that someone might think he was condoning selfish ambition, so long as the gospel was being preached. He was saying that each of us needs to honestly assess ourselves which in turn would lead us to value others better than ourself--which is what humbleness is all about. That's my take on it anyway.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 10:33 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Why do unbelievers, feel that it's their responsibility to point out failings of believers?

You can play dirty pool, but when someone hands your balls back to you in the game, you pull this sort of thing.

I defend my faith when it is misrepresented, twisted and otherwise taken out of context and used by people who don't know or understand it outside of google searches. 

You keep starting new threads so that you can belitte and berate those of faith.  You constantly pointing out that we are not following our guidelines, but what are your guidelines?  do you have any standards to live up to?  Are they ever changing?  No absolutes?  No lines that you won't cross?  Doesn't appear so. 

I have never seen you ask a valid doctrinal or biblical question.  Only baitish, immature, angry, self serving questions.

adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 11:33 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• "I have never seen you ask a valid doctrinal or biblical question. Only baitish, immature, angry, self serving questions."

Wait, are you talking about NP? Because I've never seen her do that. She asks valid questions as part of a debate forum. Christians come on here all the time to challenge non-Christians and no one thinks twice about it. However, when non-Christians challenge Christians, it's because they are angry, immature, and their questions are not valid. Maybe, just maybe if certain Christians were better representitives of Christ, people wouldn't have these questions.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:50 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• However, when non-Christians challenge Christians

No that's not true. The correct answer is when anyone, of any faith, challenges mlinda, they are angry, immature and asking invalid questions, because in mlinda's mind, she is perfect. This happens here, and it happens in P&CE. When there is a question she is unable to answer, she evades and resorts to personal attacks, rather than admit she does not know the answer or does not understand the question. She can't even tell the Christians from the non-Christians - she lumps in everyone who ever disagrees with her as "unbeliever".

It's always about she "hasn't seen" or she "always sees". Never about what she knows, never about what anyone else knows. We are to accept all of our worldviews as filtered through mlinda, because she is unable to process anyone else's.

Notice, she didn't answer the question. But she had lots of insults in 940 characters. Not vain at all, eh?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 3:13 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Very good question NP. Bump.

Unfortunately some people are so obsessed with proving the way they see their belief being the only way any one should beleive it. They don't open their eyes or mind to any one else's opinions or thinking. Granted I garrantee these people have not always been this way, they generally develop this thinking around the same time the develop their superiority complex.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 5:31 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Wait, are you talking about NP? Because I've never seen her do that. She asks valid questions as part of a debate forum. Christians come on here all the time to challenge non-Christians and no one thinks twice about it. However, when non-Christians challenge Christians, it's because they are angry, immature, and their questions are not valid. Maybe, just maybe if certain Christians were better representitives of Christ, people wouldn't have these questions.
    >>>
    So post a list of atheistic standards, so I can challenge too. It's awfully convenient to "challenge" Christians when a set of standards haven't been glued to atheists here. Atheists are free to change the rules as it fits their agenda then?
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 10:10 PM on Jun. 7, 2011