How likely is it for me to have a normal pregnancy after a placental abruption?

I had my son 3 weeks early by emergency c-section because my placenta had abrupted (torn away from the uterine wall) my Dr told me that if I would have waited much longer to come to the hospital both me and the baby could have died, she also said that I will never be able to deliver vaginally again...so besides needing a c-section with any future children will my pregnancies be normal or will I have to be on some kind of bed rest or what? What can I expect when I start trying for my next child and during that pregnancy?

Lucky209

Asked by Lucky209 at 6:44 PM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Hi, I lost a baby due to placental abruption, and I am happy to report that later I had my son Billy with no complications!~ I am so glad that you made it to the doctors on time,,,this is why I always advise women when in doubt go to the doctor!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 7:16 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• This sounds like a great question for you doctor.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:51 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Exactly! I agree with Rosehawk!!! Please ask your doctor,that way u won't get any wrong information.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 7:15 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I ended up needing an emergency c-section with my first because of an abruption. Thankfully, she was full term, and we were already there, and in labor when it happened. I am now 12 weeks along with our second. My doctor doesn't seem concerned that the abruption will effect this pregnancy. I didn't have to take any special precautions when trying to get pregnant. We just stopped the birth control, and it happened the month after. And so far, so good, we've had zero complications. I am still having a planned c-section with this one because I feel it's safer. But so far the abruption that happened last pregnancy hasn't been an issue. I don't know if it will be different for you because yours happened under different circumstances. So I'd certainly talk with your doctor about your concerns.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 7:21 PM on Jun. 6, 2011