Should I wait to set a date for my wedding until I lose weight?

I have been engaged for almost year and have been intentionally putting off setting the date. I feel too fat. I've gained 70 lbs since I had my son, 70 POUNDS!! It's ridiculous and embarrassing and I just can't seem to keep it off. I might lose 10 and then gain it back. Everyone keeps asking when we are getting married, but I don't want to do it looking like this. I know I will regret it when I look back on the pics.

I'm torn, should I just do it and burn the pictures? Or wait and keep trying to lose?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:06 PM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• I agree that you should set a date. It might be the motivation you need to make the weight loss happen. If not, DON'T change the date- just do it! A dress is easier to take in than let out, so buy it at your current size. There ARE healthy ways to lose weight that don't leave you starving. I've lost over 60 lbs so far eating clean (not a fad diet).  Get moving, and eat right.  You can do this!

That said, DON'T wait to start your married life until you've lost the weight.  If you haven't met your goal, that doesn't make you any les worthy.  If you reach your goal after you've been married, then have a vow renewal, or do a big anniversary party and get another wedding dress!  Take some gorgeous pictures then!  =)

musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 7:13 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Set the date and then lose the weight. If you keep putting it off you just keep giving yourself excuses not to lose it. That being said, I feel your pain, I've been trying to lose the same 20 pounds for 4 years now. Sigh.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 7:08 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Marriage is way more than the outward appearance, the wedding is one day, to me its not a reason to delay a wedding if thats the only thing stopping you, you will be beautiful either way.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 7:14 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I say set the date then try to loose the weight. If you don't you don't. Just don't buy a dress that's too small.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 7:11 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I say set the date, it'll be a huge motivator....use a program like P90X or Insanity that are 90 or 60 days and go for it!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 7:21 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Set the date 9 months to a year out and get a personal trainer. Get serious about loosing the weight. It can be done if you really try and stick with it.
    camiam81

Answer by camiam81 at 7:22 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• You cannot live your life based on how you look, or how you hope to look. Love yourself for who you are NOW. Get married when you want because you want that date/season, not because you will look a certain way. You deserve better than "I will only get married if I lose 70 pounds" -- that is sad.
    klickitykat

Answer by klickitykat at 8:37 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Marriage isn't about the pictures, honey. It's a promise to love and cherish your SO for always. Just do it. And don't burn the pictures - you will cherish them in years to come!
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 7:09 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• No! I can help u! But I need to know those things so I can give u the right information!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 7:27 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• miamoma here. go ahead and set your date girl... and set a date to start your regimen to release some weight... relax, release and revive your mind, body and soul. need help? I did it!!! inbox miamoma
    miamoma

Answer by miamoma at 12:28 PM on Jun. 7, 2011