Do you know if children with disabilities have the right to receive an education at home? (Home-Instruction question)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:21 PM on Jun. 6, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• generally if a child is able to be serviced in a school (which legally they have to be) then you are not eligible for special education services if you chose to home school. The only cases I have known is when being in school is a physical danger to the child, such as one with a supressed immune system
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 7:57 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• if by "right" you mean special education services, in most cases no. If not, then please explain your question more clearly
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 7:22 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• You can homeschool a special needs child.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:27 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Peanutsmommy1
    Yes. That's what I meant. Special Education services are provided at school. But I was wondering if these same services can be provided at home when medically necessary?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:29 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I've never heard of an IEP being available to a home schooled child, when you remove a child from the public school system generally you give away the right to school services.

Can you share why homeschooling would be medically necessary?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 7:33 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• What services do you want the school to provide at home. please be specific.
    briansmom123

Answer by briansmom123 at 7:36 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I really don't know what services can be provided. The only thing I know is that my child sufferd from MR and Epilepsy. I'm not sure if my child being a citizen with a disability is entitled to obtain therapy at our home instead of my child having to be placed in an school.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:41 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• *sufferS
    *in A school
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:46 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• yes, of course
    asil

Answer by asil at 8:17 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• There should be some sort of hospital home bound services available where a teacher comes to the house for an hour or so a day. It is only for special situations.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 8:23 PM on Jun. 6, 2011