Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Abusing power of attorney.

If two siblings have equal POA over a parent and one was refusing to allow the other one to look at the accounts and banking, and spending lots of money without telling the other POA, would you think something wasn't right?
The things that were supposedly purchased for the parents new place are sitting in this persons house being used by the POA person. This person also went out and bought duplicate things for the parent. I feel like she did it to keep it for herself.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 7:25 PM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Money & Work

Answers (2)
  • You need to contact a lawyer and quick!

    Answer by kimigogo at 7:38 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

  • I'm a notary, so the main question I would ask is how the power of attorney documents are worded.
    I'm also dealing with basically the same situation with a sibling who has power of attorney over our mom.
    I can tell you that what they are doing is considered fraud.
    My advise, as a criminal justice major and notary would be to quickly remove them both as POA's and appoint a professional or someone else in the family with morals. You also need to remember that anyone with 1st hand knowledge of the abuse of power could be considered by law enforcement and/or a civil/criminal court to be partially liable as well.

    Good Luck with this.

    Answer by mamma_nita at 8:16 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.