Anyone have an inground pool? Would you build it or buy a house with one again?

We are looking at a house that will lower our house payment ALOT! It has an inground pool, we live in Missouri, so this is not a common thing, do you love your pool? Do you find it expensive to maintain? I would appreciate any advice before we go any further, I don't want to spend the money we are saving all on the pool, but really think it sounds good! BTW I will probably be the one who takes care of it, so please explain the difficulty level, I am not mechanically inclined in the least, but better than dear hubbs.

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 7:35 PM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Home & Garden

• We put in an inground pool in a few years ago. I really like it, but it does cost money to run (electricity) and maintain and is work. But, if I was buying a home with a pool already, this is what I would do before I bought the house. First find a pool company in your area & have them inspect the pumps, liner etc. Let them tell you if there is any major overhauling to be done. Then ask them what they charge to close the pool in the fall (we pay around $325) & how much is it to open in the spring (we pay $225). Make sure the pump has an automatic chlorinator so all you have to do is keep chlorine tablets in it. Some pools use other means of sanitizing, but ours is chlorine. Then I highly recommend getting a Polaris Pool Robot cleaner. It moves around the bottom of the pool & sucks up leaves & debris & all you do is empty the bag when it's full. We get our water tested about once a month at the pool store. Hope this helped!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:49 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• We have an inground pool and the chemicals are very expensive. Chorine tabs are about $100 a bucket and last us about 6-8 months. Then you need shock, conditioner, acid, and who knows what else... there is a myriad of things that can throw the water off balance and you will need to buy something to get it back to normal. I always wanted a pool but honestly, its overated. We have pool stores around here where we can bring in a water sample and they will test it and give us a print out of exactly what needs to be added to the pool. So that makes maintenance a little easier.
    Do you have young children? if so, you will have to put a fence around it and they're outragously overpriced.... $1000 minimum.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 9:31 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• my parents have a salt water pool, its quite easy to maintain, less chemicals, just small amts of acid and clorine and majority salt, if you maintain regularly its not that expensive, its when you let it get a mess over winter (like some do) then have to try to clean it up when it gets warmer.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 7:38 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Look at your insurance rate with a pool. My sister's almost doubled.
    Anonymous

• We no longer live in a home with an inground pool, and would never have one again. Just an expensive yard fixture, IMO-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:06 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• We don't have an inground pool but our friends and family do and I can tell you it is a drain on your check book, shoot our above ground pool has been a drain on our check book.

Our friends pool is a concrete on and it has (had I think they finally fixed it) a leak in it. Whenever they go out of town we have to go by everyday to make sure the water is above the skimmer. The chemicals are costly here but that is because we have issues with algae and such. Our pool has a salt water system on it so all I have to do is add salt when I open the pool and then I don't have to add anything else for the rest of the season. Our friend was over the other day and he couldn't believe how clear and soft the water is.

IlovemyPaulie had some really good advice. Having a pool it a lot of work.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 3:43 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I wouldn't put a pool in but would consider a salt water pool if I had one. I really hate chlorine.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:57 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Can you make an existing pool into a salt water one? I have heard they are much easier?
    kimigogo

Comment by kimigogo (original poster) at 7:39 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• We had a house with a salt water pool that we absolutely loved but we lived in AZ and spent all summer in it. My husband maintained it but it didn't take too much because he would just bring a sample of the water to the pool store and they were able to tell him what kinds/amounts of stuff to add.
    bellagracie82

Answer by bellagracie82 at 6:42 PM on Jun. 7, 2011