Whats your oppinion on declawing your cat is it cruel?

I want to declaw my kitties to save my furniture and keep them from scratching my babies but it does seem cruel and i hear that they wont want to use the litter box because it'll hurt to dig.

youngmum87

Asked by youngmum87 at 7:40 PM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Pets

• It would be like cutting your fingers off at the knuckle. Would you be happy without your fingers?
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 7:42 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• yes it is cruel. you could order the nail coverings online.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 7:42 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I have 2 that are and one that isn't.

You can get "caps" that you can glue onto their claws to protect your furniture
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 7:43 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Oh this is a can of worms on cafemom! I won't get a cat so my opinion doesn't matter one way or the other, but I will say I had cats growing up that were declawed, and they didn't have any problems using the litter box.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:44 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Mine only clawed the furniture while they were kittens. They calm down a lot!!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:45 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I had cats when I was growing up. I don't have them now because I know they would claw up my furniture and yes, I do think it is cruel to declaw a cat.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 7:48 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• All I know is that you cannot let them out because they are defenseless.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:50 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• when i had cats in the past we declawed them. never had an issue with the litter box. my one cat lived to be 23. the only thing is if you do it, use shredded newspaper in the litter box for about a week until they heal up.
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 7:53 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• it is absolutely cruel...I have 2 indoor cats that are 11 and 14...they have their claws...you can buy something called soft paws and since they are kittens you have time to get them used to it. 60% of cats stop using the litter box b/c it burns...many vets won't even do it b/c it's so painful..they can't stretch their spines the way they need to, etc...it's not only cutting their nail off, it's cutting off their first knuckle...I hate declawing and think it should be outlawed....you can also just get human fingernail clippers and clip once a week to keep the pointy edges down and also clip whenever they start to claw something...LOTS of scratching posts too...please don't declaw them...if they ever get out (accidentally) how would they protect themselves, jump walls, etc...it's horrible.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:59 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• You can take them and get their nails trimmed, personally I wouldn't do it, if they ever got out they have no way to defend themselves,, and I adopted a cat that was declawed, and she had an awful time using the litter box--I don't know if that is why , but we fianlly had to give her to a lady who really didn't care, just thought she was pretty,, I never have given up an animal in my life, but no litter box= no choice!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 8:07 PM on Jun. 6, 2011