Has anyone here delt with a near death experience with their child?

Yesterday My husband, Sister in law, Brother in law myself and my 3 kids all went to the pool. My middle child who is 3 1/2 was found in the pool belly up with her head under the water. When she was pulled out of the water her face and lips were blue and she was not breathing at all. My brother in law did CPR along with someone else that was there and got her to breath.She spend the night at the hospital and is now home. She is ok, might have some brain damage from lack of oxygen but otherwise is fine. I am still very scared and when I think about it, I just start to cry. I had lost her, but even though she is fine, I can't get that image out of my head of her lifeless laying there. Anyone else have an experience like this t hat I can talk to?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:46 PM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• when my middle daughter (now 2 and a half) was 4 months old i almost lost her to shaken baby syndrome. i came home and she was lifeless and unresponsive, also her face was an odd shade of gray. thinking of it now, the helplessness of not knowing if my sweet, happy girl would ever be the same, still brings tears to my eyes. she spent a week in the hospital, and was unconscious for a couple of days, seizing, vomiting so much constantly. when she finally came-to a few days later, it was early in the morning maybe 6am, her eyes were still closed but i was talking to her and she gave me a huge grin. i felt so relieved knowing she would smile again. anyway, she has some fine motor skill delays and had a speech delay, but she's doing great and still my happy, smiling girl.

hugs to you! it took me a long time to get over the guilt even though i wasn't home when it happened. i still have panic attacks from it. therapy might help.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:55 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Im thankful she is ok...i have to wonder why, when there were 4 adults in the pool she was "found" in that position...she must have been ignored for quite some time. I can't imagine how you must have felt, but Im sure it will stick with your forever...and maybe having some brain damage isn't "fine"...that's a very scary situation....this question bothers me, Im sorry.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:55 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• btw, im glad she is okay! sorry i ran out of room up there. again, **hugs**
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:57 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• i was laying in the bed with my daughter only a about 2 weeks old. Out of the blue i woke up and turned to her, she was too little to turn over and was on her stomach her face in the blankets.. when i picked her up she gasped for air.. it was scary.

How is it there were so many adults that the baby almost died in a pool?? thats crazy
    Anonymous

• How is it there were so many adults that the baby almost died in a pool?? thats crazy

im curious about this too. i've taken 4 kids to the pool by myself, ages ranging from infant-4 years and never came close to a drowning incident. i watch them like a hawk. i know sometimes it only takes a second, but with 4 adults there, it's almost unfathomable.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:09 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I know I pay a lot more attention when I'm the only adult vs when there are more adults. We tend to get "lazy" about paying attention to our children when we're with other adults. I can totally see how this can happen.

I'm so sorry, I can't imagine how you feel right now. I've never had a near death experience with my children, but my daughter has a condition that in all likelihood, will take her from us before she becomes an adult. She's especially at risk when she's sick - that's when most children with this disorder die. She has pneumonia right now and it's all I can do to hold myself together. Cherish every moment you have.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 8:40 PM on Jun. 6, 2011