Having unusual bowel and stomach problems, and not sure why

okay, i usually have a bowel movement every 1-1.5 days. it has always been like that. about 2 weeks ago it changed and i would go maybe be 2-3 times a week, and my stomach would start to cramp up and i would have pains, especially when having a bowel movement (it was constipated and hard, just my stomach hurt during and after). well, for the last 2 days i have gas and go about 5-7 times with really smelly gas during or at other times. it's really annoying and bothersome, and if i don't let the gas go my stomach hurts a lot, but my insides rumble a lot and i feel like i always have to go, whether its a lot or just a small piece.

i'm not on any meds (only have the mirena for under 2 years). i have no change in my diet and i haven't been sick.

any clue as to what is going on?

sleepymamaof3

Asked by sleepymamaof3 at 7:49 PM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Health

• My hubby has the same problem if he has too much dairy. Do u eat pizza often? Do u eat onions?
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 7:53 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• No, but any dramatic change in bowel habits (which is what you are describing), should be discussed with a physician. I had a 30-something female patient once who developed dramatic bowel changes and ended up being diagnosed with colon cancer. Not to scare you, but really, you are describing a dramatic change from normal. Just get checked out.
    klickitykat

Answer by klickitykat at 10:54 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• You should see your doctor if it continues. It could be anything from what your eating, IBS, or more serious like ulcerative colitis or Crohns disease. My dad has Crohns disease and suffered with it for 30 years before he got a proper diagnosis. The symptoms of that are pretty extreme. Ciliac disease can cause those symptoms too I think. There are many causes. My sisters and I have some of the same symptoms my dad has, but we were just diagnosed with IBS. Ya never know.
    Trinity001

Answer by Trinity001 at 11:08 PM on Jun. 6, 2011