I know no cow's milk but what about ...

cheese and yogurt. I know we are not supposed to give babies under 1 year milk because of a protein in it (I believe) but what about cheese and yogurt? Are those safe? If so, why and not cow's milk? Is it because they contain an enzyme? My son is 11 months.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:27 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well here in a month he will be ok to drink whole milk....i think that cheese and yogurt is ok.. im no expert and so have no idea...but still...i dont think it will do any harm
    Shannon85

Answer by Shannon85 at 12:30 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• yoghurts and cheese how milk in them?

I dont think I will ever give my son cows milk. Why the need to? There are plenty of more nutritious htings to give him.
    Anonymous

• Yogurt and cheese are different because the proteins are broken down in the cooking process.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:35 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Anon 11:31, no cow's milk? what do you plan to give your son as a replacement to milk to provide the nutrients that milk has?
    Anonymous

• I'm not against moo moo juice, as my daughter puts it (though we only do organic with no growth hormone for our dairy products, and we make our own yogurt)...but, its not necessary to have milk--even as a child, and the nutrients in milk are easy enough to replace.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 1:12 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• i heard you can give them the yoplait yobaby yogurt at 6 months and above.
    blueeyes71883

Answer by blueeyes71883 at 2:24 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I don't see a problem with it unless he has an allergy. My son was so underweight that my pediatrician told me to put butter in all of his food and to give him whole milk. It worked and he didn't have a problem with any of it. If you want a second opinion, contact you pediatrician.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 2:45 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• as long as I've worked with kids I've always known your suposed to wait till at least 10 mos to start cows milk. However there are baby yogurts that help with eating, learning how to chew, etc that are specially designed for little bellies. I believe they are from YoPlait they're called YoBaby.. but I wouldn't suggest giving any of the kids yogurts, they just have a lot of sweeteners in them.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 3:13 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• It's okay to give both of those. The main reason for the "no milk" rule is so parents don't give milk when they baby really needs breastmilk or formula up until that age. But both yogurt and cheese are easier to digest than whole milk anyway.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:11 PM on Dec. 10, 2008