How is the best way to get over depression and get a apetite back?

TX-Mommy-of-two

Asked by TX-Mommy-of-two at 8:21 PM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Health

• exercise helps a lot ,it is a natural mood enhancer, and it will make you hungry. i hope you get over what ever is bothering you, we have all been there at one point or another.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 8:25 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I was there once and I had to wait it out. I did not eat anything. Sorry and hugs!
    KiraStadnik

Answer by KiraStadnik at 8:26 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• My doctor is worried because i'm loosing weight.. no vomiting or morning sickness... no appetite.. I want to eat but when i do i feel so SICK... :'(
    TX-Mommy-of-two

Comment by TX-Mommy-of-two (original poster) at 8:27 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• at least try drinking boost or ensure, they are like meal replacements in times like this.. good luck
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 8:33 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Push yourself to go out and be social as much as possible. The more withdrawn you stay, the more you are feeding into the depression. I have experience the same appetite loss before. This means that you tend to manifest stress in somatoform ways (physiological symptoms). It will take some time but keep yourself distracted as much as possible. No sad, sappy radio stations, only happy music and happy, fun tv shows and happy, fun people. Treat yourself to a bit of chocolate or indulgence every now and then. Chocolate will help boost your mood. Invest in a few self-help books related to what you are going through, which will help you process your depression more logically. Also, keep your surroundings well-lit. The brightness of a room contributes to your mood. Get some real sunshine if you can and go for a walk, or foster or adopt a pet. Pets are extremely helpful in keeping you going. Trust me, I've been there. Don't give up!
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 8:48 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• It will take some time but it will also make you stronger. Once you know that you have pulled through something like this, not much will phase you later on. You build resilience. This is not to say that have no right to feel this way. Of course you do! You're human! I don't know what your support system looks like but if you want to expand your social network or find more supportive people or ways to distract yourself, try those Meetup.com groups and get involved in a hobby or women's social group. I can also suggest some self-help books if you direct message me. We're all rooting for you! Take care sweety!
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 8:54 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I use a natural mood enhancer. L-Tryptophan , I buy it in the vitamin section. It's an amino acid that works with the serotonin levels. Our body should produce it but doesn't produce enough alot of times. Read the bottle. I take 1 capsule at bedtime. I was told to take it with Vitamin E and Omega 3-6-9. I noticed my mood was better the very next day.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 11:05 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I've been where you are. Go walking, or do some cardio. It makes you feel better, and just eat little by little, and gradually eat more. You'll get through this. I lost 30 pounds in 2 months...and was still losing it like crazy. I looked sick, I felt sick, I was stressed depressed and everything. You gotta work through your issues and get yourself back. I did, it took lots of tears and lots of hell, but when you get through it, the rest of your life is cake. I'm not happily married, chunky and pregnant.
    monstersmommy20

Answer by monstersmommy20 at 2:14 AM on Jun. 8, 2011