Is it normal for my breasts to itch like crazy and for my nipples to be red since I'm breastfeeding or is that a sign of infection?

breastfeeding help!

babyfever07

Asked by babyfever07 at 12:32 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Health

• Mine itched like crazy, starting in late pregnancy, and continued for a long time. I think that's normal? How red are they? Is it painful. I think hard and painful is the sign of infection you should watch for. Have you been using lanolin on them? And no soap, ever.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 12:36 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I'd talk to a lactation consultant. sounds like a latching problem to me.
    Anonymous

• How long have you been nursing? Have you ever heard of a candida yeast overgrowth?If you'd like more information I have a couple of great CDS I'd be glad to lend to you.

Marian
    mmg815

Answer by mmg815 at 1:53 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I had a yeast infection in my breasts after my dd was born. You had better get it looked at.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 2:11 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Breast feeding should never be uncomfortable. Seek a doctor's or LC advice asap.
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 2:47 PM on Dec. 10, 2008