I have a friend who has a new baby that has colic..

I have a friend who has a new baby that has colic.. She has tried everything to help her baby to sleep and have a good night sleep herself. She is a mother of four now and I'm just wondering how to help her. She has done what the doctors have told her. I'm thinking maybe as young as the baby is and being about 1month to 2months old that she should try to breastfeed more. What does anyone have an opinion??? Need feedback.

lady_bug1975

Asked by lady_bug1975 at 12:39 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i always tell people this. with my son i put him on formual call similac neutramigin (sp?) and it worked amazing!! not saying it will work for all but it might be his stomach cant break down proteins right. and babies don't usually get like this tilt hey are around 3 weeks old if this is the problem but tell her to try it if she hasn't yet. (its really expensive though)
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 12:45 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• we thought ours had colic until we took him to the doc. turned out he had gerd and started meds. the symptoms of colic disappeared.
    Anonymous

• I had a son was was severly colicky, I stricktly breastfed and forund out that he was lactose intollerant and I loved dairy products. If your friend is breastfeeding at all have he try to cut out ALL dairy for two weeks it might be all the little one needs. My son has outgrown his allergy.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 12:53 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Taking walks in a sling REALLY helped my son through some bad patches...sometimes it ended up just being wind..but this wind didnt come up until about half an hour into the walk. It soothed him though and helped him relax.

I also cut out dairy which alleviated the problems and saw an osteopath for my son in case of birht trauma, which helped a little.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 1:03 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• My son had Colic..what a handful!! So very stressful, not only did it cause me emotional problems, but my husband and I were fighting alot due to the crying ect..We put him on Nutrimagen by Enfamil and it did help..Try the gas drops with every feeding and just wait it out, it does get bettr, but it took until my son was about 4 months !
    sydsmom2

Answer by sydsmom2 at 1:13 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I would advise her to read "The Happiest Baby on the Block" by Dr. Harvey Karp. I would swaddle our son tightly, sit on an exercise ball and bounce him. That calmed him down. I agree about the breastfeeding. My son has an allergy to dairy, and I took all dairy out of my diet and things got a bit better. I also started taking him to the chiropractor and that also helped some. Some babies don't have colic, but just cry. My son is like that. He is high-needs/spirited. If you want more information you can send me a message. I hope your friend finds something that works.
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 1:38 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• "Colic" is just a term to describe a very fussy baby. Your friend needs to figure out what is causing the baby's discomfort, which is not always easy. It could be a medical diagnosis like acid reflux or a milk protein allergy, or the baby might simply be fussier than normal and need some extra care. Does the baby appear to be in pain? Does the baby spit up more than usual? Is there blood in the stools? These are signs of reflux or a milk allergy in which case the baby should be evaluated. I also second the recommendation of "The Happiest Baby on the Block." Swaddling and white noise worked wonders for my reflux/milk allergy baby. The Miracle Blanket is the only way we could get her to sleep (www.miracleblanket.com). And if she wishes to continue breastfeeding, there is NO NEED to switch to formula! Good luck to your friend!
    LaurLaur623

Answer by LaurLaur623 at 2:30 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Forgot to add that I, too, cut out all dairy from my diet in order to continue breastfeeding. She grew out of her milk allergy at around eight months, and she grew out of her reflux at around 18 months.
    LaurLaur623

Answer by LaurLaur623 at 2:32 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• My son had colic. I nursed him. The colic acted up whenever I drank milk and ate rice, beans, broccoli and cauliflower. Your friend will have to figure out whether it is something that she is eating or drinking. If it isn't that, I recommend that she contact the pediatrician. No one likes to see their child in pain.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 2:39 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• peppermint water(just disslove a peppermint in water) calms the stomach try anything that vibrates or just keeping the baby in a snuggly close to you.
    danahake

Answer by danahake at 5:47 PM on Dec. 10, 2008