How do I get family to accept my relationship?

My boyfriend is transgender. Well, in the process. My parents and family are unaccepting the fact that he has female parts, and believe there is somthing wrong with him for not accepting himself as a woman. I wish they could accept him as he is. I love him dearly, and want to spend the rest of my life with him, but it's so stressful having us not be accepted. Any ideas how i can make the idea of me-a female- being with a transgender?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:59 PM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Relationships

• You be you. It is on them if they can not accept your boyfriend.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 9:00 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Have you both joined support groups?
    As my mom told me "I'm not sleeping with him/her,so it's none of MY business"
    Tell your parents that your with this person regardless if they like it or not!
    mrsvixen

Answer by mrsvixen at 9:01 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• You can't make them accept it, only they can do that! If it really matters, the most you can do is explain how happy you are with him.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 9:03 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Who told them he's transgender? That's none of their business.

They should be happy for you no matter what.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 9:11 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Really good advice already on this thread. People are still coming around to the idea we aren't all the same. Imagine that. Hang in there things will work out. They may or may not see him for who he is. Hopefully your being happy might spark the idea the parts don't make the person. Hang in there!
    chgomom

Answer by chgomom at 9:13 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• well i will give you the same advice i would give to someone going through this without the transgender aspect. just sit them down....say this is who i love and who i'm going to be with. i would really like your support, love and acceptance, but if you can't give that to me then that is too bad. if you can't accept our relationship then that is your problem, not ours. but make sure to let them know you still love them. they might have a change of heart when they see your relationship is lasting and you don't want to leave on bad terms. gl!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:34 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I don't think you should try to get your family to accept your relationship. It's your relationship not theirs and if your happy with that person nothing elas should matter.
    missy7493

Answer by missy7493 at 9:39 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Some family will never accept who you are with no matter what the thing is they dont like about but if you love them it doent matter what they think or feel its going to be you having to spend the rest of your life with that person not them.. Good Luck and I hope you find your happiness
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 11:45 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I've dealt with something similar. My husband is 10 years older than me, and my family does not like it one bit. I love my husband, hes good to me, he respects me, he loves me, and all that jazz. My family will probably never be okay with it, maybe eventually, but not for a long time. If you love your boyfriend, and your boyfriend loves you, and you guys are happy...fuck the rest. Life isn't worth living if you're just going to follow what others want. Just do you, and be with him if thats what makes you happy.
    monstersmommy20

Answer by monstersmommy20 at 2:10 AM on Jun. 8, 2011