Who is right about kids summer holiday

hubby thinks i'm being very mean making my kids read and learn over the summer I'm only talking 30 Min's a day or so i don't plan to make then sit in or do lots my step sons 10 and a little behind and my step daughter 8 and a little behind in stuff my hubby thinks they should just catch up at school and thinks they will get laughed at for having to read over the summer i don't get why. i think learning a little bit over the summer is the way to go i plan to make it fun and as i said i don't plan to make then sit down and do loads i have these books on animals and stuff from Disney i plan to read with them and my local libraries doing a reading thing where if you read a book and answer questions on it you win prizes i think this will do both kids the world of good my step son reading needs work , where as my step daughter reading is good but she never remember what she reads and she gona have to to win prizes so this will really help them both i should say there mum not about so i am mum to them lol

anyway am i being mean ? will they get bulled for it ?

or am i doing the right thing

ps i'm dyslexic

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:04 PM on Jun. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• I don't think that you're being mean. I'd do the same thing honestly. And if they're bullied for it, well, those bullies then have some serious issues.
    alf2651

Answer by alf2651 at 9:06 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• i was gonna say enroll them in the summer reading program, but you beat me to the punch lol. it is a proven fact that kids forget alot of the things they learned during the school year over the summer break. they have to waste alot of time in the beginning of the year playing 'catch up'. they can read a chapter from a book or a small book each night before they go to bed. i don't really see how your husband thinks they will be laughed at.... seriously i doubt it will even come up in the first place. it's not like you're going to strap a book or worksheet to them when they go out to play! there are also alot of sites they can go to and play math games to keep their math (and computer) skills up too! i think it's a great idea and i doubt that your kids will have many complaints about it. all the kids i know are excited about the summer reading program (and no....they're not a bunch of dorks lol).
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:12 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• You're being a good Mom!

I'm doing the same with my child.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 9:13 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• The average child that has a traditional summer break and does no reading slides back 1-2 months. Our school sent home all kinds of reading and math programs the kids can do over the summer they get special recognition if it is returned at the beginning of the new school year. They should read no less than 15 miutes a day and 20 minutes of mathj 3 times a week. That is just to stay where they are at the end of the school year. You are being a great Mom. He would say I'm a bitch..lol. My granddaughter is learning the multiplication tables this summer. She is going in thew 3 rd grade but is in the GATE program.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:26 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Not mean, especially since they're behind. I don't make my kids do school work but they have to read for 15-20 minutes every day before they can go outside.

I mean, some people opt to send their kids to summer school for 4 hours a day every day of the summer.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:08 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Kids forget over the summer I have my kids work on w next grade level workbook 5 pages per day
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 7:19 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• no,u are not being mean,are they old enough to where u can pick a family novel and turn reading time into family time,each taking a turn at reading out loud. I was thinking like Black Beauty or Little House On The Prarrie books
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 9:00 AM on Jun. 7, 2011