Help....i think i have chiggers out back and i want to get rid of them!

i am not 100% sure that they are chiggers since everything i read about chiggers didn't mention they can fly. out on my patio there is an infestation of some very tiny reddish looking bug. they are all over my petunias and i also saw some on the umbrella fabric. they are in the air too when i put down the umbrella. they are not gnats though....smaller than that. they get on you and bite you and make you feel all itchy. please tell me someone knows what this is! and how to get rid of them!! i haven't had this problem other years. i really need to get rid of them because my son is having a birthday party out there on saturday!!

princessbeth79

Asked by princessbeth79 at 9:05 PM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I have had chigger bites but never actually saw the bugs so I am no help, I would get maybe a bag of Ortho from lowes or home depot, they kill various bugs and ants...good luck
    Tnamari

Answer by Tnamari at 9:10 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Here is a link with the answer you're looking for.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7796920_spray-yard-kill-chiggers.html

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:17 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• gee i was hoping for something without chemicals :( this sucks....i hate them
    princessbeth79

Comment by princessbeth79 (original poster) at 9:21 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• There are products (chemicals, yes, but it's outside, and it's only Monday) that are safe to use around pets & kids. The one we use though a licensed applicator has to buy/apply (DH is one). Do you have a local co-op you can call to come spray? They usually have the best stuff and decent prices, or can tell you who to call.
    Anonymous

• Those aren't chiggers either hun, chiggers live in the grass. Those sound more like spider mites maybe? I'd call an exterminator or something.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Jun. 7, 2011