Have you ever wanted to smack your MIL upside the head?

I do right about now! I can't believe some of the things that come out of that woman's mouth! As long as someone is not abusing thier child or putting them in harm's way, I respect different parenting decisions. She had her way of doing things and I have mine. My kids are happy, healthy, fed, sheltered and very loved, so why on earth does she feel the need to ridicule everything I do?!?!

What is the worst thing your MIL has ever said?

hill_star03

Asked by hill_star03 at 9:22 PM on Jun. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• She called me a drunk once. i don't even drink. still trying to figure that one out...
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 9:35 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Oh yes, I have. Would you believe she actually announced our first pregnancy to the entire family in her Xmas cards, so we never got a chance to tell everyone out happy news? My husband was so mad, he never told her I was pregnant with our second. She found out from a friend of MY family when I was about 5 months along and got pissed at ME.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:35 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• my mil is nice. my sil on the other hand....don't get me started with her!!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:29 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• 90% of THE time well that's y she is the ex MIL
    Jennhv

Answer by Jennhv at 9:31 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I had it one day with mine and told her off. And have felt great ever since. I told her my girls my rules. She did not like that but I sure felt great afterwards.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 9:35 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I have felt that way at times, my MIL would tell me how to parent sometimes, just trying to be helpful I think, but it always rubbed me the wrong way. She actually told my dh she thought I abused my dd, because my daughter told her at 4 yrs. old that I hit her. I had swatted her butt earlier that day when she was misbehaving. I was furious, but now I miss her quite a bit. She was very loving to my kids and was always there to encourage them, now she's in heaven. She passed away from cancer a year ago. My best advice, she's probably just trying to help, love her anyway, and don't be afraid to stand your ground though and tell her your rules and way of doing things aren't her rules and the way she did things.
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 9:37 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I pretty much constantly want to smack my MIL in the head! LOL!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:02 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Yep my mil has an out of control mouth I finally told her keep it shut and she hasn't spoke to us for 4 months its been peaceful
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 7:15 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Mine is just crazy some of the time. I love her but... sometimes... geez!
    Like when I was preggo she kept nagging me to get the H1N1 vaccine and regular flu shot. I'm not a flu shot person. I wasn't working at the time, older son wasn't in school yet, we barely ever even left the house. I didn't want or feel the need to get the vaccines. She kept nagging me about it and telling me all the people in heroffice that were getting sick and this and that are going around and we needed to get shots. HELLO! That's YOUR office and YOUR recycled germs! There's nothing "going around" in my house! Well in my pregnancy group only about a dozen or so got the H1N1 vaccine during their second trimester; 4 of them miscarried. SO glad I didn't give into my MILs nagging!
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 9:43 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Not very often, but in that first year of marriage and having a baby it almost came to blows a couple times. I guess we were just working out our places in hubby's life and the family, because now everything is fine. In fact, I think the fighting in the beginning made for a much stronger relationship later on.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 9:51 PM on Jun. 6, 2011