That's not in the Bible?

My husband sent me this article and I thought I'd share it with all of you. It's pretty interesting, and I think it applies to some of the discussions we've had in this section. It talks about "phantom" Bible verses, and how even some of the most devout Christians don't even know that such verses are not Biblical. It even discusses how such "verses" can be dangerous.

I knew that all of the "verses" listed in the article weren't in the Bible, but I wonder if some people here on CM have mistaken these phantom verses for real Bible verses?

That's Not in the Bible?

anime_mom619

Asked by anime_mom619 at 9:34 PM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I didn't have a chance to read all of that... But from what I saw most of them aren't versus, but paraphrases of passages or lessons which ARE contained in the Bible. However, I agree, people don't know what is in their bible! Most prefer to listen to "teachers" or "priests" as to what they are meant to believe or what the bible contains rather than actually reading and searching for themselves.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:03 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I know some have, because I've seen the resulting arguments.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:57 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I read that earlier today. Interesting read.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 9:40 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I've read the Bible through several times. I don't claim to remember every verse - it's a huge book, but I did know the ones that were in that article were not in the Bible.

Answer by missanc at 10:26 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Hmm, this is interesting. I figured this much because every time I read it cover t cover I could never find it
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 9:43 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• yeah one of my favorite online past times (when i was a stupid teenager) use to be rudely & smart-ass-ly telling ppl their Bible "quote" wasnt in the Bible...especially "God helps those who help themselves".

weirdly, one of the things my churches taught growing up were that all of the supposed verses werent in the Bible. including that Christmas wasnt really Jesus' b-day, it was a big fish not a whale that swallowed Jonah, never says 3 wise men, etcetcetc.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:44 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I have asked people for book, chapter and verse for several of the phantom verses and have always been told to "look them up". 

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 11:52 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I get quite annoyed when ppl can't point out where specific things are in the Bible. If you're gonna quote a verse, treat it like a citation for an essay. It makes it look like you actually know what you're talking about. ;-)

I've seen a few people use the "G-D helps those that help themselves" argument against welfare. I think they are confusing it with 2 Thessalonians 3:10 "If a man will not work, he should not eat." They really don't do much for their credibility when they can't properly quote the verse they are eluding to.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 1:15 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I only take issue with this one, "Most people know the popular version - Satan in the guise of a serpent tempts Eve to pick the forbidden apple from the Tree of Life. It’s been downhill ever since.But the story in the book of Genesis never places Satan in the Garden of Eden.
    “Genesis mentions nothing but a serpent,” says Kevin Dunn, chair of the department of religion at Tufts University in Massachusetts."

Wow! These people seek to discredit the serpent as Satan (which is detailed throughout the Scriptures), but not the 'APPLE', which doesn't appear in there at all. lol

Even the most amateur Bible student knows that if you see something in Scripture that isn't clear, it makes itself clear elsewhere. The Bible is a collection of books, but they are all relative. Believers should study for themselves. The origins, devices and symbols of Satan are all explained within.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 9:26 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• The bible doesn't say specifically not to judge, I believe, but "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her." (John 8:7)He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her", vntNyll. Essentially it means the same thing.
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 9:50 AM on Jun. 7, 2011