Facebook debate on Selling Breast milk. Whats your take? Do you side with Poster or the others?

I find it morally reprehensible to SELL one's breast milk rather than donate.

Brooke: Maybe they are desperate? Maybe they need diaper money :)
4 hours ago · Like

Margaret: Wow. I feel like a heel for suggesting it :/
3 hours ago via Facebook Mobile · Like

Angie: How is it different than getting paid for plasma/blood? I never could find a venue to donate milk back in the 90's in NC. But I looked!
3 hours ago · Like

Poster: Brooke, think of the other side of things. If you needed it and couldn't afford it because it costs $5 an ounce, wouldn't you want someone to donate it to you rather than sell it to the highest bidder? I'm not talking about anyone in particular here. I am just stating my opinion on something about which I feel very passionate.
3 hours ago · Like

Poster Margaret, I have no recollection of you suggesting it. This wasn't directed at you.
3 hours ago · Like

Poster: Angie, I think the same thing about selling blood, plasma, and the like. I feel like anyone who is in that great a need of any of these things, should get them. I donated for years starting the day I turned old enough to do so.
3 hours ago · Like

Poster: Angie, I bet back when you were breastfeeding things were tougher. Especially now that the internet has a ton of sites for such things, everything is much easier. Human Milk 4 Human Babies is a great starting point (you know...in case you ever know anyone who is looking in the future).
3 hours ago · Like · 1 person

Margaret : $ ‎5.00 an ounce is insane. If I had to, I would so just take the formula route (like I did with all my kids) if it was going to cost hundreds of dollars a day to feed my kid. Enfamil has made my children grow healthy and strong...and they are rarely ill. 5.00/ounce holy schmoly!
3 hours ago · Like

Poster: Luckily, nobody really has to do that either, though. Most people don't know they can rely on the generosity of those donating their own breastmilk if they wish to go that route. If I couldn't breastfeed, I'd sure hope some nice ladies would donate for us.
3 hours ago · Like · 1 person

Brooke:You know what though some people are not grateful for it if its just given to them and they act like its owed to them and that pisses me off. Give a little get a little. Like Saturday a young mother came to my yard sale I gave her 3 full ca...
See More
30 minutes ago · Like

Poster: I think selling it is exploiting the desire, no, the need to nourish one's child with the best possible nutrients. There is nothing more nutritious than breast milk and everyone should be able to provide that to their child. Even if they ...
See More
4 minutes ago · Like

Brooke:Yeah I think so. Breast milk is the best milk but Julian got both and he is just as healthy if not healthier than roxy is and she got pure breast for the first 6 months. So I dunno I guess we will have to agree to disagree :)
31 seconds ago · Like

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:05 PM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Just for Fun

• It is her milk to sell if she wishes.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 10:06 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I don't know about this particular case, I guess it's the choice of whoever's milk it is. You know, some people sell their old clothes on eBay, some donate to a homeless shelter. It's theirs, they can do what they want.

In general, I find it bothersome that breastmilk is selling for insanely high amounts from milk banks (I found $4.50 stated in one article from Time) while the mothers who donated aren't getting a dime. Who should be making money from the donation of breastmilk (if anyone)? The mother whose breasts it came from makes more sense than the business, to me. She's the one to thank for this milk. I don't see how it would be any harder/more expensive to pasteurize human milk than cows' milk, so I really don't believe those costs are incurred...I think some of those milk banks are making a nice profit.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 10:24 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I kinda don't know what to say. I never thought anyone would think about selling their breastmilk and at $5 an ounce? Damn. This is just odd.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 10:08 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I'm not going to lie it kind of makes me want to start pumping again and sell it : / It sounds like a gold mine in my breasts and they produced A LOT when I was BF'ing my kids
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:10 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• they sell it even if you donate it why not give it directly to the person who is supplying it... it isn't free!! Too funny.
    Camilletnt

Answer by Camilletnt at 10:16 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I personally wouldn't do it BUT I'm not going to sa no one else should. If you' ve got someone willing and able to pay you for what they can't produce you are both making out in the end.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 10:24 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• $4.50 per ounce, that is.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 10:25 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• People aren't selling it for that much, they donate it to those places and the places screen it, etc, and sell it for high prices. If you pump, you'll donate and see nothing for it. You'd have to sell privately and that's harder to do as it's not screened, so it's not guaranteed. I'm wishy-washy on the subject though, don't side with any of the people.
    Anonymous

• Milk banks aren't selling it to make a profit though, they are selling it to pay the employees, pay for the equipment to sterilize it, freeze it, etc
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 12:22 AM on Jun. 7, 2011