So I guess I'm a selfish snob......mil's opinion long but i need to vent :(

So from day one of my husbands and my marriage she has told me i need to sell my car (a brand new 2008 Mitsubishi Eclipse that i bought in 2007) and buy a cheap car to save on car payments so we can visit them more.......first off the reason i bought the car was i was in a really bad car accident i had a city bus turn into my lane and hit me head on so I had been in physical therapy and didn't drive was even scared to at times to when i went car shopping i bought the car of my dreams and pushed past my fears and felt safe driving this car...ok back on topic so DH love's the car as much as i do and told his mom we wouldn't be selling it and would visit yada yada yada just to make her happy so she would drop it so she turns to me and tells me i have turned her son against her and he wouldn't want such an expensive car if it wasn't for me......ok whatever he didn't have a car when we got together and we share this one finally she dropped it when she realized she wouldn't get her way Fast forward to last year we found out we were pregnant and she starts again on the car how a two door car is to dangerous and we should get rid of it and buy an older car and how we were snobs when we said we didn't want our DD driving in a used car when this one is brand new......a year later again she starts on us we are pregnant again and only have a years payments left and when we told her we were keeping the car for DH to use for work and buying an SUV she flipped telling us all we do is waste money and our children would be better off without us.......what is her problem i never realized it was bad to want a safe vehicle for your children but i guess we are bad parents for wanting this

krissii

Asked by krissii at 10:49 PM on Jun. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• She has mommy issues. She doesn't have control of her lil boy anymore and has lost it! Forget her just do what you have to do and ignore her negativity
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 10:54 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• sounds like she has alot of problems, hun, or she is having a hard time sharing her son with you and using that as an excuse. There is nothing wrong with your situation or you for that matter, in my opinion.
    babygirl_18

Answer by babygirl_18 at 10:56 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Wow...and what kind of vehicle does she drive? I wouldn't let my kids near her...if all she cares about is the money/complaining, rather than their safety? What you and your husband do with your money is your business, not hers (unless she's helping you with bills, etc.). Personally, I would tell her to shut up and you'll raise YOUR kids how you want to
    BellasMom185

Answer by BellasMom185 at 10:57 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Sounds like your MIL has some boundary issues. It really is none of her business how you & DH choose to spend your money as long as you are not hurting for cash, which it doesn't sound like you are, so MIL needs to back off & mind her own.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:01 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• The car she drives that she swears is the safest in the world (and is what she says we should look for) is an early 90's toyota celica that's been in an accident so the windows cracked in three places but can't be replaced because there is so much structure damage the doors don't even close all the way......theres dog hair caked in the back seat (she hasn't had the dog for 3 years) and there is no AC....and yet when we visit she doesn't get why we insist driving DD in our car go figure......as for the safety thing what gets to me is my DH's oldest two sisters died in a car accident because the car wasn't safe i would hope she'd want DH his wife and grandbabies in the safest car possible and be happy we want safety for our children and ourselves
    krissii

Comment by krissii (original poster) at 11:08 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Keep your car and just smile politely and move on
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:36 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• You could always tell her that you are thinking about buying one of the safest cars on the market--a BMW or is it a Mercedes:)
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 12:49 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Sounds like my MIL..and guess what? We dont talk to her anymore! hahaha...
    bouncingsoul

Answer by bouncingsoul at 1:05 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Wow, what a rude, controlling bitch! What does it matter to her what kind of car you drive? It is not like SHE is the one paying for it!!! It is NOT her business and next time she starts in I would cut her off and say "well you are entitled to your own opinion. Since WE are the ones paying for it WE will get what WE want! And I prefer not to discuss this matter again!"
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:49 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Wow...she sounds like a complete whack job. I wouldn't even let it bother me. Just laugh at her like she's nuts.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 11:15 AM on Jun. 7, 2011