Is it wrong....?

...to meet moms on the internet in close proximity to me? I'm not from here, although i've been here for three years, i don't work, and i'll admit it's kind of intimidating to meet new moms. My issue is finding people that take care of their kids like children should be, sismilar interests, etc. My husband told me to just strike up a conversation with a mom at the store, but that seems so intrusive. I don't want to come off weird, but I want my child to interact with other children, PLUS i need some interaction myself! Any advice or close people welcome! Thanks!-V

Rhonesmom

Asked by Rhonesmom at 1:02 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in About CafeMom

• Uhm, no that's not wrong.
    If you have social anxiety issues like I do, then
    it's perfectly fine!
    3Smiths

Answer by 3Smiths at 2:21 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Join a local playgroup through a gym. Depending on the age of your kids you could enroll in mommy and me classes, or try a local mommies meeting mommies group. They have them in even the most rural areas. I think part of becoming a mom is getting past your own hang ups (like being intimidated by others) to give your child what he or she needs. It's tough, I know, and I am sort of in the same boat as you, but I keep telling myself that my child shouldn't suffer because of my handicap.
    Anonymous

• See if there are any groups for play groups in your area. I've met mamas from CM...I don't see anything wrong with it. Obviously you want to get to know the person first and talk on the phone & what not...be smart about it ...which I'm sure you would =)
    Richelle3

Answer by Richelle3 at 9:18 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• When my kids were babies I started my own online playgroup for my immediate area and advertised through a playgroup site. I had a few moms join and I hosted a playdate once a week at my home (where I felt most comfortable because I have serious anxiety issues). Out of the 6 or so women that joined I only still talk to one and she is one of my very best friends. I met her almost 6 years ago. I remember her youngest had just turned 2 and was terrified of my youngest (who was about 3 months old when we met). They are good friends now (at almost 7 and 6).
    Now, 6 years later we have 7 kids between us and our youngest daughters (mine is 2 1/2 and hers turns 2 in 2 weeks) are best friends.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:43 PM on Dec. 10, 2008