Encouraging walking

DS is really really close to walking. But he only goes for it when he wants something,he'll walk 5-7 steps across the room but only if his Father is holding a PS3 controller or some form of junk food other then that he just seems to think crawling is easier and faster. He stands all the time though, He'll stand,he'll walk anywhere you want as long as he can hold on to something or if he wants something.

How do I encourage walking without video games or candy being involved?

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 11:28 PM on Jun. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• Just give it some more time. My DD was walking for what she wanted at 11 mos but not walking to walk until abut 15 mos.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:30 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• So, cute. Sounds like dad just wants to see him walk. Don't worry, it will only be a few more years before dad is trying to get him to stay seated by giving him the controller and junk food! (just kidding :-) I wouldn't be in a hurry to get him to walk. Sounds like he's doing great already. Enjoy the moments.
    LoveHerDad

Answer by LoveHerDad at 11:37 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• That's how we always encouraged it... with things they really wanted.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:58 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• My friend is a physical therapist and she does not like to hear when parents complain about their children not starting to walk yet. Crawling helps with gross motors skills development. Unless there is something medically wrong with your child my friend says that parents must encourage crawling. Walking is a giving she says. LOL
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 12:08 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• *given
    Cafemomoftwo217

• It only bugs me because I know he can(I've seen it like I said when he wants something) and he just doesn't and I have no idea why it bugs me but it does.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 12:33 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I got my youngest to start crawling by putting his bottle on the other side of the livingroom and he finally got annoyed and started crawling to get to it, and he is 8 months and has the point on moving his feet but is scared to stand alone so now we are trying to get him to stand so he can walk already
    SkylaReneeMom

Answer by SkylaReneeMom at 1:17 AM on Jun. 7, 2011