Positive in the contrast.

We're all pretty versed in what we don't prefer in each others' perspectives/beliefs.

What are the positive aspects that you find in contradicting perspectives?

If you're an atheist, do you find anything healthy and positive about being a believer?

If you're a believer, do you find anything healthy and positive about atheism/agnosticism?

clarity333

Asked by clarity333 at 11:37 PM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I find that when one is truly filled with peace in their beliefs on a god, it exudes from them. I find that peace and light and love extremely powerful and beautiful. I think anything that fills someone with such peace is a wonderful thing. I admire people like this, in their ability to get through all the BS I see so many get caught up in and simply live in love.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:31 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• healthy and positive..like sahmamax said, if its truly their belief (whichever way it spins), and they are at one with it and satisfied, it is evident and doesn't need to be slammed in the face of others. there are some atheists/agnostics that i find (IRL..i hardly consider the ones on CM, because i don't know them) who are 'at peace' with their choice/beliefs, and there are others who seem destined to fight for it. (this appears in any group or persuasion...and the reason for argumentative dialogue stems from different places..can't pigeon-hole everyone into one reason.)
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:31 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• As a Christian I think it is amazing that majority of atheist make good decisions with out the threat of a diety
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 5:54 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• wow I got a downvote? Someone must love me:)
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:33 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• " People are people, and traits that I see in Atheists/agnostics I can also find in some Christians/other believers. There isn't a trait that is applicable to only one side or the other. People fall all over the spectrum on behavior and so forth, regardless of what they believe. If that makes any sense...."

ITA. Which, to me, implies that beliefs aren't that important as we are all the same on some level. One set of beliefs hardly rises one above another....although some like to think that it does AND act as though it does. But really, we are all the same.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:19 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• i love the dedication ppl of other faiths have. how the Amish go without modern convinces, the Muslim women cover their arms/legs/heads, orthodox Jews keeping of OT laws...i dont think i could do that.

i appreciate the reality of Agnostics b/c we cant know if theres a Divine or not & they accept that we cant/dont really know.

i like that Atheists question why ppl believe as it makes everyone have to think a little deeper.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:35 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I find positivity in most of the different ways of belief or non belief I see. I don't really believe that there are differences, though, between those of us who believe and those of us who don't. People are people, and traits that I see in Atheists/agnostics I can also find in some Christians/other believers. There isn't a trait that is applicable to only one side or the other. People fall all over the spectrum on behavior and so forth, regardless of what they believe. If that makes any sense....

Though I will say that I appreciate that Atheists/agnostics/nonChristians are more receptive to my "heresies" than many of my fellow Christians, and I am thankful for that, lol. They are usually more able to accept someone being "un-traditional" or "non conformist", which is nice.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:07 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I think questioning is always good. I admire an atheists questioning everything.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 11:46 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I think being a believer has many positive aspects when explaining what happens after you pass. I lean more toward the athiest side but grew up Catholic and giving my kids "Heaven" to look forward to seems a lot easier and more comforting than just being gone...

Atheism seems more realistic to me. I like that people need to be accountable for their own behavior out of common sense and human decency and not use the "what would Jesus do" saying. People shouldn't need a Bible to learn respect, love and kindness.
    whomi

Answer by whomi at 3:46 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I can appreciate the desire to feel good in all of us. I see the mind of a believer as one that honestly wants to feel good. I can also appreciate and understand the sense of community, family.
    clarity333

Comment by clarity333 (original poster) at 5:24 PM on Jun. 7, 2011