Should I give my 15 year old chores to do?

should I pay him to do them if I give them or should I just give him chores, or should I just continue to ask for help as I need it. I like to do that because he always helps and I would rather do it that way because he feels like he is HELPING rather than being MADE to do it.

SARAHSON

Asked by SARAHSON at 11:47 PM on Jun. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• um why hasn't this child had chores since he/she was 2? he shouldn't be paid - its part of living in a family, everyone has chores
    nurse_maya

Answer by nurse_maya at 11:50 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• hes at the age where he should do chores.. i dont agree with paying any kid any money for cleaning their mess or chores.. that in itself is a bribe.. If he wants to make money to buy something have him do stuff FOR YOU.. like wash YOUR car so u pay him.. his pay for doing chores is the roof over his head the clothes he wears. the food he eats and im sure you cook..

Anonymous

• i had chores forever, seriously i cant remember a time that i did not have chores. as for paying him not necassary but if you want to give him money that is your discretion. i never got paid and i didnt get an allowance. but if you wanted a compromise then you could offer an allowance on the contingency that he does his chores.
    2breath2live

Answer by 2breath2live at 11:54 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Give him chores. Not $.
    ashleyxo8

Answer by ashleyxo8 at 11:56 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• WHEN I ASK HIM TO HELP ME OUT, HE DOES, LIKE IF I SAY TO HIM CAN U THROW THE DISHES IN THE DISHWASHER, OF COURSE HE DOES IT, I WANT HIM TO DO IT FOR ME BECAUSE HES HELPING ME OUT AND HE WANTS TO, NOT BECAUSE HE HAS TO.....AND TO GIVE A 2 YEAR OLD CHORES ??? I THINK THATS A BIT CRAZY, AND YES I COOK EVERY NIGHT. I AM A BIT EASY ON HIM, BUT HE IS A REALLY GREAT KID. HES NOT SNOTTY OR BRATTY.....HE DOES WHATEVER I ASK. I JUST FEEL BAD GIVING HIM A LIST AND SAYING HERE YA GO THIS IS FOR U TO DO.
    SARAHSON

Comment by SARAHSON (original poster) at 12:04 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• yep, give chores! gotta prepare kids for life after mom. laundry, cleaning, cooking. they're skills that everyone should have.
    flamingomegs

Answer by flamingomegs at 12:04 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I'd give chores. I wish I'd started earlier with my 2.
    mollgirl59

Answer by mollgirl59 at 7:16 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• My kids have chores and they don't get paid but they can earn things. Its just how we do things. At 15 you are old enough to get a job in most places
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 8:28 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• It's great that he helps you whenever you ask but I would give him at least 1 or 2 chorse that he must do every week. It can be simple things...take out the trash or bring your laundry to me on this day and when it's done you put it away. It actually builds confidence to have your own responsibilities and acomplish them. You're not punishing him by giving him a couple of chores.
    CollinsMommy729

Answer by CollinsMommy729 at 10:34 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• It sounds like you've answered your own question for what works for you.
    All kids should have some chores, it teaches them responsibilty. I only pay for really tough jobs, like when my SS pressure washed my sidewalk and driveway to get the stains off. He loved earning the money and now wants to do it every summer.
    Keeping room clean, dusting/vac own bedroom, taking out trash, feeding pets, etc etc.. Also, it will teach your son how to take care of himself when he's on his own without a mom or other female around to do things for him. Don't forget to teach him some cooking,LOL.
    So many kids are going off to college these days and staying in dorms and the #1 thing I keep hearing about is that they wish they had food from home!! They get sick of cafeteria and fast food but if they can't boil water (so to speak), they're out of luck. This goes for girls and boys both! :-)
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 11:04 AM on Jun. 7, 2011