Is it wrong....?

...to meet moms on the internet in close proximity to me? I'm not from here, although i've been here for three years, i don't work, and i'll admit it's kind of intimidating to meet new moms. My issue is finding people that take care of their kids like children should be, sismilar interests, etc. My husband told me to just strike up a conversation with a mom at the store, but that seems so intrusive. I don't want to come off weird, but I want my child to interact with other children, PLUS i need some interaction myself! Any advice or close people welcome! Thanks!-V

Rhonesmom

Asked by Rhonesmom at 1:05 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i wouldn't meet anyone online. im just a person who thinks people are crazy lol i watch to much csi and stuff. but i feel you im a young mother so im stuck between hanging with older moms or party girls!? i just want someone in between lol i sometimes feel its harder than finding a good man.. thankfully i got one lol

whitenena

Answer by whitenena at 1:07 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I've made plenty of mommy friends online. Not many through this site, but moreso through meetup.com.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:32 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• We all have one thing in common...child birt. That is a huge common denominator....any of us can wax poetic about our experience for hours...this is a leaping off place. Just start chatting.
    Hi, my name is Susan and I live in Toledo, Ohio I have 5 kids and I am 42...how about you?
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:09 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• birth sorry
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:10 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Try meetup.com or yahoo's groups. Look for a mommy group in your city. You can also try www.Momsclub.org or www.mops.org. Both are large, national organizations for moms.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:13 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• yeah, i dont trust people very much. go to the park and strike up a conversation.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 2:26 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I have met a lot of moms at Barnes and Noble. My child and the other mom's child were playing at the Thomas the Train table. If she isn't reading, I try to start up a conversation. I am a SAHM. Being around a two-year-old all day makes me crazy for some adult conversation sometimes. You could do a search here on Cafemom for a mothers in your state. I am a member on Utah Moms. It is hard to find other moms that think similarly about hobbies, raising children, etc. Don't give up. You don't have to do anything with them physically. It is just nice to talk to other moms and you can do that via the internet.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 2:31 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Search "Oklahoma City" under groups on here, several will pop up.
    I don't think it's wrong to meet other mamas on the internet (as long as its on a reputable site, like CM). I am in the Active North Austin Mommies group here, and we hang out a lot... playdates, and mom's night out! I didn't know any of them before I got on this site, and they are all great!
    Just meet at a public place, and until you are sure about them, don't give out too much info on yourself (last name, where you live, etc.).
    Good luck!
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 5:29 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I've met a couple of moms from cafemom. Just make sure you meet in a public setting first. I've met moms at Barnes and Noble, parks, libraries, etc. :)
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 10:09 PM on Dec. 10, 2008