Is it wrong...?

...to meet moms on the internet in close proximity to me? I'm not from here, although i've been here for three years, i don't work, and i'll admit it's kind of intimidating to meet new moms. My issue is finding people that take care of their kids like children should be, sismilar interests, etc. My husband told me to just strike up a conversation with a mom at the store, but that seems so intrusive. I don't want to come off weird, but I want my child to interact with other children, PLUS i need some interaction myself! Any advice or close people welcome! Thanks!-V

Rhonesmom

Asked by Rhonesmom at 1:06 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in General Parenting

• I don't think so. Maybe meet at a public place for the first time. I have met a ton of moms in my area through the internet and even joined a playgroup on Yahoo groups almost 3 years ago when my daughter was a few months old. The kids have "grown up" together and I've made some great friends through the group.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 1:10 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I met one of my best friends online but we were both in a private non profit group and were officers for that. So we went ahead and met since we were so close and I was new to the area. I wouldnt meet just anyone though because there are so many weirdos these days online that you just dont know for sure that the person youre talking to is who they claim to be. I wouldnt have met her if I hadnt known she was a member of the board (not msg board-non profit board of officers VP, Pres, Secretary etc).
    My best advice to going to the park. I meet alot of moms there, so does my dd whose a young mom. Also rec centers and YMCA can offer opportunities to meet other moms with similiar interests and kids the same age. Church is another great way to get involved with your community.

Answer by gemgem at 1:12 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I don't see anything wrong with it. Meeting Moms in stores and restaurants isn't effective. You may have nothing in common with them, they may not be interested in making friends. At least online you know that both parties are interesting in meeting new Mom's and potentially making a friend.

Once you meet someone online that you like, meet up in a public place for a while and get to know them better before inviting them to your home, or going to theirs.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 1:17 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I know there are those on here that have hooked up and become great friends... I don't think it's a bad idea, I may suggest talking to the person via e-mails, phone and maybe sharing info, pic's and such, then meeting at a neutral public spot for the first time. Also, I've met a lot of great moms at the park, mall and other places that struck up conversations with me, it wasn't intrusive and when you're on a bench watching your child in some play area it's nice to have adult conversation... it's cause me to do the same to others since I know it's hard to be the one starting a conversation so I'd suggest if you see a person and their child you think you'd like... try to just start by asking if that child is there's, their child's age and "get to know" them... :-) I agree the store would be hardest to get to know others that may be in a hurry.

Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 1:22 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• As long as you meet in public until you get to know each other I don't think it's a bad idea. If you are looking for other moms in your area check out meetup.com, they have a lot of great groups.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 2:12 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I talk to people at the store all the time! I always go to the same movie store in my neighborhood and I just talk to the employees and by the time I had my baby I was friends with almost all of the employees and they are excited to see my baby. Just watch out for the crazies and dont get to attatched and DONT EVER EVER loan money out or let them move in with you! I watch too much court TV. GL at finding a new friend!
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 3:26 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I don't see anything wrong with meeting people online. I'm in the same boat I guess... we've lived here for 5 yrs, but I don't have many friends of my own since I don't work and it's hard to meet people. A few that I have met, I later find out that I completely disagree with their parenting or other things. It would be nice to know those things before you meet people! And I've never been one to just go up to someone, say in the store, and start a conversation. Maybe a little chat while waiting in line, but how do you go from that to 'hey want to get together sometime?' without sounding creepy? lol I have met a couple of women in person that I talked to online first. I would just make sure to meet in a public place the first time, or the first couple of times. In case it doesn't work out, then they don't know where you live! lol I hope you get to make some friends in your area!
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 4:03 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• No it is not wrong it is scary to meet people online,you know nothing about I am the same way just moved here and don't know anyone want some friemds and playmates for my kids but afraid of who I may meet.Where are you from if you don't mind me asking?
    AngelPink

Answer by AngelPink at 10:55 PM on Dec. 10, 2008