What do you think of this quote? (home school-public school)

"Comparing me to those who are conventionally schooled is like comparing the freedoms of a wild stallion to those of cattle in a feedlot." -Colin Roch, 12 year old Homeschooler

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 12:15 AM on Jun. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think it's someone who feels like he was attacked for being homeschooled and now is being presumptuous and retaliatingby trying to compare those he was compared to as lesser beings than himself.

However in reality, the comparision is completely wrong.  A stallion is free yes, however he is the leader of a herd of mares.   And by no means is a child (be they homeschooled or private schooled, or public schooled), a stallion.   They aren't leaders, they are children.  They, if compared to horses, are just colts and fillies. All equal.

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:24 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• So he is calling himself the stallion and kids in public school the cattle in a feedlot, correct? What do I think.... I think he is being taught that he (homeschooled) is better off then kids in public schools. I think at 12 he doesn't really understand the differences, pros and cons (there are both for each). I kind of agree, homeschooling and public schooling are completely different. But I don't agree one is better then the other, I think it all depends on the school/child/parent.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 12:22 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I wasn't home schooled. I was taken out of the public school system when I completed 5th grade and put into a Christian school. My parents did what they thought was right for my sisters and I. My DH also went to a Christian school. One of my sisters home schooled her kids for a few years. We all agree. There are pros and cons for Christian/private school, home school, or public school. That kid is ignorant. He is just now starting to learn what life is really about. The problem with homeschooling is that the kids are sheltered from learning some important lessons that many kids learn in the public school.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 12:40 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I think with an attitude like that, one of his peers are going to take him to school and he won't be getting the kind of education he wants!
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 1:05 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• i think hes a spoiled little brat.. and one the the cattle is going to beat his ass bc he has that attiude lol.. smart for a 12 yr old to actually come up with that but his parents need to teach him better..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Lol, onemellowmom.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 1:14 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I hate it when poeple teach their home schooled child that they are better than kids who go to public school, and I am sorry my cousin was home school, he passed beacuse he founf the answer key to all his work and made himself cheat sheats, and he cheated his hole high school life and because he was home school he had trouble getting into college because some colleges are not taking home schooled kids now!
    SkylaReneeMom

Answer by SkylaReneeMom at 1:15 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• HUH?
    ashleyxo8

Answer by ashleyxo8 at 12:16 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• He sounds unschooled.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I think that this child is a great debater!
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 12:38 AM on Jun. 7, 2011