If..

If you think evil is a byproduct of freewill, do you think there is freewill in heaven?

clarity333

Asked by clarity333 at 12:24 AM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I have no idea. If I get there and am able to get a message back, I'll let you know. Couple of additional big "IF"s there, but I'll do my best.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 12:05 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• i never thought of that. its always been my contention that only good resides in Heaven (and no, with only one cuppa joe, i can't think of a scripture to back up my contention). so, in that vein, i'd have to say since nothing dark can live in light, there would be no need or want to do 'evil' in Heaven. none of the 'normal' human characteristics would exist, as beings would be changed into spiritual beings, made 'new', so to speak..going from this earthly body (mortal) to a heavenly body (immortal).
    idk if that answered your question, but that's all i have at this moment.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:25 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• What dull said- and I believe it to be perfection and the need/want for free will would not be an issue-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:38 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Ooo! Good question!
    MegMurry

Answer by MegMurry at 8:19 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I don't believe in "evil", though I get what you're getting at. I believe in heaven we will still have free will, but we will have reached a point of maturity in our humanity and spirituality, where we don't choose actions that negatively effect themselves or others - actions that are or cause "evil", if you get what I mean. Just as there are people here and now who are capable of living and acting in a way that is not "evil", of their own free will, in heaven we will retain our free will while being in that more mature, humane place.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:54 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I do believe there is free-will in heaven, and that the people that go there are of such a nature that they don't choose evil with their free will.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• If God was only interested in having a bunch of mindless robots worshiping him all the time, He would have made us mindless robots, and not bothered with all this messy humanity business.

So, yes, I think there is free will in Heaven, when Satan used it to choose evil, he got the boot, so I think it's fair to say IF anyone uses it for evil they won't be able to stick around, and Heaven will remain a pleasant place.
    Anonymous

• "why didn't he just create earth to be that way to begin with?"

Because the process is what's important. Living this life and learning the value of love and compassion and goodness is the whole point. And it means that we're not programmed robots. We're free to find our own way. I don't believe He orchestrates our lives, merely gave us a place where we could come into our own, cultivate our humanity and spirituality. It means, when we get to heaven, we'll understand and appreciate the goodness and lack of "evil" there. We'll have learned, by experience, the importance of this goodness. If we were just in heaven with no other experience we wouldn't appreciate or understand the goodness that exists there. It is here on earth that we realize our humanity, our "divine spark", and here that we cultivate and appreciate it, so that when we get there it has a much deeper meaning than if we were just placed there to begin with.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:40 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• To add, I don't believe God values suffering. I don't believe that's the point. But in order for us to have the freedom to CHOOSE goodness people have to be free to choose to NOT be good. It's not about Him wanting us to experience it, IMO, but instead the importance of being able to be completely free to choose as we will, to find our own ways. I don't believe the suffering, etc, is part of His plan (I don't believe He really has one, other than for each of us to make the most out of our lives as we can, to cultivate our humanity as much as we can, etc). It is just a by product. One that encourages us to strive even more towards those ideals and virtues, but not something I believe He chooses or intends. If that makes any sense.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:43 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Elish, if god could create a heaven like that, why wouldn't he just do that here to begin with? Does the god you believe in value the lessons over the suffering?

Because God wanted us to freely choose Him. And in order to allow for choice of the right thing, He had to allow for the free choice of the wrong. Prior to the fall we had sinless spirits and sinless bodies. But the fall corrupted both. At that point God would've been just to erase mankind off the planet. But instead He chose to save a remnant. Those saved choose to worship Him of their own free will.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 5:15 PM on Jun. 7, 2011