Weaning??

soo little man will be one on the 15th..he exclusively bf..he does eat his 3 meals and snacks..I dont remember too much about weaning from my first but I also dont remember my first nursing as much as my little one is now at the same age..he still nurses on demand (5-6 times) sometimes I pump and give him a cup of milk..but its too hard to do that all the time..not sure how to start the weaning process..looking for advice from other mommies who nursed..did you use cow milk or toddler formula??

socalikim

Asked by socalikim at 12:50 AM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I used cows milk. just eliminate one of the feedings at a time. Do that for a week or two until it is going ok with him...then eliminate another....do that for a couple of weeks....and continue. Just cause he is a year you do not have to stop. you are doing a good job with the cup. I would offer his milk in a cup rather than a bottle. It takes time but it will happen.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 12:57 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Both of my kids weaned themselves at 9 months. So I HAD to use formula until they were one. That being said Momforhealth said everything else I would have said.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:05 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I know I dont have to start weaning because hes one but I want too..I wanna start bcuz I think hes gonna be hard to wean lol he loves his boobie :) I will still nurse for a few more months but want to cut down the feedings..did cows milk upset their tummies at all?
    socalikim

Comment by socalikim (original poster) at 1:11 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I know mine had no issues tummy wise... he just didn't care for it. Water is fine for hydration. Cow's milk isn't NEEDED.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:46 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Not after they turn one. I wouldn't give him a LOT all at once, but you can start substituting milk for the breast.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:48 PM on Jun. 7, 2011