Is anyone familiar with Hypothyroidism?

I am currently having bloodwork done to have my Thyroid checked.
My MD said he felt my Thyroid in my neck....I've tried to feel for it myself just to see what he was feeling and I don't feel anything swollen.
He really didn't even say why he wanted to check it....he just said "Stand up & turn around & be still for a moment, I want to feel for your Thyroid gland". Then he said "Yes, it's a little swollen".
I don't SEE anything from mirror myself...no swelling or lump. I didn't complain or even bring up the subject,,. so, I'm guessing my weight gain possibly prompted him to check it for himself. I've noticed he seems to be questioning my sudden weight gain. I eat very little and I don't know where it's coming from either but I seem to be putting on weight with no real reason for it.

Is anyone familiar with weight gain and Thyroid issues? or Have you had this problem yourself and was treated for it?

KellyGirl_TX

Asked by KellyGirl_TX at 1:16 AM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Health

• I am familiar but actually have opposite. Hyperthyroidism. Keep losing weight! I have three things (nodules) causing it. From there they have set up tons of appts to see exactly what showed up on ultrasound that day. Medicines usually help control it though. Gl!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 1:28 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I am taking Synthoid for my low thyroid issue it sucked bc I have been walking for a year now and my dr finds this it mad me so mad bc before I started walking I was fine and now that I am trying to domsomething for me he finds something sometimes I wonder if they are even correct on their diagnoses. I just take my meds just to see if there is any change but no it will be a year in Aug. That I started taking this. Or maybe we should just go and get a second opinion. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 3:26 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I have had hypothyroidism since I was 13 and it sucks. Blood work every 6 months to check my levels, and no amount of healthy eating or exercising helps with the weight. Don't mean to be a downer, but if you do have it, you're in for a hard road my friend. Best of luck!
    Kari727

Answer by Kari727 at 11:27 AM on Jun. 7, 2011