Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Do I need to talk to a grief counsler?

ok, here is the deal. I think I might be going out of my mind, but I have to talk to somoene, I just don't know who. My son was born, double foot breach a year and half ago, he suffered numourus complications and unnessary procedures and spend a month on a heart/lung bipass where we prepared for the worst. (I thought we would loose him that night) but we didint. he just kept getting better. He has polycystic kidney disease and hemipireisis from a bleed he got on the Bipass. (he was fine when born, the hospital hurt him) He is otherwise healthy, and happy and amazing, so glad to have him with us.

so why do I keep greaving over the image of him in the box? he's here, he didint die,so why cant I let it go?, and who the heck do I talk to about such things? anyone else go through the ECMO expereince? I feel so freaking alone. Its not just the stress of being a special needs mom, its all of it. The only thing I can think of is maybe talking to a grief counsler? can you do that when no one is dead? anyone know of any?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Kids' Health

Answers (5)
  • Try a group for special needs moms. What you are feeling is normal. I am a single mom of three special needs children. It is hard and trust me in time you will see him differently and never want him any other way! Good Luck momma!

    Answer by harris4 at 1:25 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

  • "grief" does not only refer to death. You went through a traumatic experience and it's perfectly normal to have some issues develop from it. A family counselor, grief counselor, general counselor will all be able to help you cope with the situation and work things out. Good Luck.

    Answer by hill_star03 at 1:26 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

  • I would contact a general counselor. Good luck

    Answer by canelamami at 12:17 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

  • deff contact

    Answer by rinamomof2 at 12:32 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

  • YES... you need to talk to someone. This is kind of like PTS.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.