bad grades

My son refuses to hand his reading assignments in on time. He has an F in reading when he could have gotten it up to a C today! I'm lost as to what I should do to get him to hand in assignments on time!!!

free_chik

Asked by free_chik at 1:14 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• have him sit at the table each afternoon/evening and make sure he does his homework on time for the due date.
    Anonymous

• Start taking things away...idk. You really haven't said what you've tried so it's hard to say what to do.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:16 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• My sons had the same problem. We got a student organizer and met with his teacher. When he left she checked to make sure his assignments were written down, and checked off if he turned in his homework from the night before. We did this everyday. He had to show me his assignment book with her signature everyday. This also kept an open line of communication. If my sons did their work everyday for two weeks we went for pizza. If they didnt, they were grounded until they got caught up.

Answer by gemgem at 1:17 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• in our home missing assignments get you a week of MAJOR grounding. I can excuse missing a few on a paper, not getting a 100% but we do NOT tolerate missing assignments. Our kids lose every stinking right except to eat and breath when it comes to that.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 1:36 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• My son wouldn't read for the longest time but after finding something that interesting to him he reads daily. However, he still doesn't like to read. The key is finding something HE is interested in and that will capture his attention.
    Anonymous

• You have to make it hurt at home. Take away TV, video games and anything he likes until he consistantly keeps his grades up.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 6:25 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• My son is 12 and if he gets a bad grade we talk to him alot about it and stress how important good grades are. He is probably bored to death listening to us but we are relentless and sometimes i think he just makes sure he gets his work done so he won't have to hear anymore. i have read that if you offer a reward for good grades that you can get better results than if you punish them when bad grades happen. Don't know if this works or not. Maybe it's worth a try.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 12:58 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I'm glad my DD isn't the only kid who is screwing up like this. I think mamakirs gave some great advice. This is what my Mama did to us and we finally graduated (with honors!)

arkmomto2

Answer by arkmomto2 at 5:01 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Go to school with him one day, and tell him you'll keep coming if he isn't able to remember without you.
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 5:21 PM on Dec. 16, 2008