A Co-worker and I was having a conversation.

He was talking about roots and voodoo. He asked me do I belive in it,I don't know if its real or not what do your think?

mamaofficer

Asked by mamaofficer at 3:15 AM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I hear it is very popular in Haiti I don't care to know I have seen stuff on tv that I just change the channel.
    I guess it's only true if you are into that stuff...idk
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 3:29 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I think it's real for people who believe in it. I don't believe in it but still find it rather creepy.
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 3:52 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I've been to an actual voodoo ritual. I was really scared. Nothing bad happened and it wasn't strange. Just the word voodoo though brought fear into me. I still don't believe in it and think it's creepy.
    somuchlove4U

Answer by somuchlove4U at 3:54 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• It's just another religion, albeit a very misunderstood one. It's not evil nor particularly creepy, but the slave owners thought it was so the prejudice stayed.
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 9:15 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Another misunderstood religious path. Voodoo has been given a spooky rap over the years so many fear or worry about it when they hear the name.

Most things like this dont have any power over you unless you believe.

I dont know many specifics but I use herbs and have no issues with them and do believe they work. Voodoo is just not something Ive stopped to learn a ton about but I dont fear it or freak when I hear it.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 9:47 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I believe voodoo is as real as witchcraft, but neither can have any power over you unless you allow it to, imo. I'd like to have a little voodoo doll of my neighbors to stick pins in. Hehe. Not very Christian of me though, is it? lol. I guess maybe I should re-read the part in the Bible where it says to love our neighbors as ourselves. Ugh. lol
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 11:38 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• As a witch, I've done a little VooDoo study, although not nearly as much as I would like to do. And yes, it's real. That said, like witchcraft and other "magickal practices" they are usually practical answers to issues which have been imbued with energy from the witch/practitioner. For example, if someone is sick, I may make them a special tea, imbue it with healing energy and serve it to them. The tea itself, isn't going to CURE anything, but the use of the practical answer (tea) combined with the positive healing energy it works better... VooDoo isn't any different. Though VooDoo is based on African traditions and "medicine" while what we usually call Witchcraft is based on European traditions and "medicines"

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:58 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• It's important to differentiate between the actual religious practice and the pop culture crap that we perceive as voodoo in the west. They are not the same thing. It's a religious path that is still practiced but has been turned into something 'spooky' by horror movies and pop culture.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 1:52 PM on Jun. 7, 2011