How was it the first time you have sex postpartum?

im almost 6 weeks postpartum and i did have an episiotomy. im excited but nervous to resume sex. what should i expect? will it hurt? feel different than before? thanks!

xunlucxyx0

Asked by xunlucxyx0 at 4:11 AM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't honestly remember the first time after. I can't remember how long after or anything. But I don't remember thinking it was any different and I do remember asking my husband if it felt different for him and he said no, lol.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 4:17 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• the first time postpartum was about 4 months later since DH deployed 9 days after DS was born, so it was great! But since you had an episiotomy just take it slow, use lube if you need to.

cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 5:11 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• With my 1st, I had 2nd degree tears and we didn't even try to have sex until like 8 weeks postpartum (I didn't feel comfortable yet until then). I will say it hurt like HELL! I got sewed up real tight and it honestly felt like I was losing my virginity all over again (and hurt worse than when I lost my virginity) Warning, TMI, but we went real slow and it took a good couple of months before we were having sex normally. DH would try in me a little bit slowly, then I'd get a warm, wet washcloth, clean him off & go down on him to finish him off. Sex still never felt the same as it did before having a baby. I just had my 2nd 2 weeks ago today and had 2nd degree tears again, so I'm nervous about having sex again in a few weeks, but glad I know what to expect. GL
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 6:21 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I had an episitomy as well, and we had sex 3 weeks postpartum. We went slow and it still hurt. By six weeks post partum we were fine. You'll be just fine!
    jteffs

Answer by jteffs at 6:43 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I had a c-section but was still asked to wait the 6 weeks. we ended up having sex at the 4 mo mark. it hurt the first couple of times, but after that things got back to normal. I can't relate to what it may be like for you being you had an episiotomy. follow your body and take it slow. rushing into it won't be worth it if you only end up hurting yourself and extending your healing process.
    mmsfirstone

Answer by mmsfirstone at 3:55 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• * I meant to say 4 weeks postpartum LOL
    mmsfirstone

Answer by mmsfirstone at 3:56 PM on Jun. 7, 2011