Carpal Tunnel post pregnancy

I gave birth to my baby girl on Nov. 6th, and a week later noticed my hands getting numb, tingly, very swollen and painful. I called the office of my OB and the nurse told me that the dr advised me to ice/heat and take motrin as he felt it was carpal tunnel brought on post delivery. I was thinking it was maybe a side affect from the epidural...but my sister said she too got this carpal tunnel after her child was born. She said it didnt seem as bad as mine is. Does anyone else have an experience such as this? I sometimes have problems picking up my baby...or holding the bottle before my hands go numb. Do I need to seek help beyond taking Motrin? Doesnt seem to be helping at this point. Does anyone know how long this should last?
Thanks

holycow

Asked by holycow at 1:26 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Pregnancy

• This is normal, and it's even called carpal tunnel of pregnancy. It should subside within a few weeks. Motrin is especially helpful as it reduces inflammation. Just be careful when handling baby if your hands are numb! Keep your hands elevated when you can, to facilitate drainage of fluid. Best of luck with the new little one!
    Anonymous

• i would go to a reg doc and talk to them about the pain and numbness and see if they can give u more if u are BF there prob isnt much stronger that u can take
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 1:33 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I never had CT with pregnancy but it is common. Mine developed after years of repetitive motion. I have had surgery on both hands for it. Some people who just began having it get good relief at night with braces. You can get them anywhere that has a pharmacy/health section. I fooled around and let mine go too long. The prolonged compression of the nerve left mine permanently damaged. My advice is don't fool around with it too long. BTW..the surgery to release the tendons wasa an enormous sucess. Instant pain relief.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:34 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Physical therapy can help, and so can sleeping with wrist braces on. Try to switch positions if your hands go numb at night.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 5:10 AM on Dec. 11, 2008