I want a kitty! and my daughter does too

i'm thinking of getting my almost 4 year old daughter a kitten for her birthday. she has been saying she wants a cat. she is an only child, pretty gentle, and for the most part listens well. i have to admit i've been wanting a cat too but recently but now that she wants one too it just makes me want one more. we live in a small apartment and i think it would be good for us. any thoughts? i would get one from the SPCA.

iluvmybabe

Asked by iluvmybabe at 5:16 AM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Pets

• I think pets are great for kids! We had a dog before we had our son, so he is great with animals (he is 4 also). We got another dog for him for his 2nd birthday and we also have a cat now. As long as she and the cat can get along with each other, SPCA would be a great option!
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 5:21 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I love cats, it's a great idea. You might want to consider getting two, because two aren't anymore work than one and they'll have a napping buddy for when your not around.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:41 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• 2 are better than 1 just get them as kittens and make sure to get them fixed as well. I have done cat and dog rescue for years and cats are easier than dogs, especially in an apartment. Sometimes SPCA and other animal adoption places do a 2 for the price of 1 deal.
    sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 6:25 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I agree with RyansMom about getting two, they play together.

Answer by Bmat at 6:26 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• We had 2. They were so cute together. My kids were great with them.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:28 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• We have 2 cats and I like it better than having one as they keep each other company when we're away. My suggestion is to get an older kitten or an adult cat (or 2). My SPCA has a deal going where you can adopt an older pet for $25. And do make sure your cat(s) are fixed unless you decide to foster a pregnant mom cat.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 9:35 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I always had cats growing up and I lived in apartments for years. sounds like a kitten is the perfect choice for your family.
    CollinsMommy729

Answer by CollinsMommy729 at 11:05 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Kudos for wanting to adopt one! My son is 2 and has wanted a "meow-meow" for months. We got one yesterday and she's already stolen my heart!
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 1:04 PM on Jun. 7, 2011