How can I get my 3 year old daughter to listen to me?

I just don't know what to do anymore my 3 year old is out of control.She won't stop hitting my 1 year old daughter Nicole.Everytime I turn my back she either hits Nicole or is taking a toy away from and If she don't get her way she throw a fit.I have tried time out I have told her she  has to love her baby sister but nothing seems to work.I have 2 older kids and I don't ever remember them being this bad..I stay so stressed out over this maybe someone can help..

jdwilson864

Asked by jdwilson864 at 5:25 AM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Firstly it is probably a jealousy thing with the baby, feeling like the baby gets more of your attention etc, do you make sure to do special "alone time" things with her, even little things daily, maybe when you put the baby down, you guys can do an activity together even if its 15 mins or so, so she knows and looks forward to that time with you each day. 3 is a hard age, where they comprehend alot more but they dont reason as well as we expect them to, it gets better my daughter is 3.5 and is doing much better with reasoning. Second thing sounds like she may need some firmer discipline, I am not sure what methods you use, but however you discipline just make sure your consistant, so she gets the message that its unacceptable to behave certain ways, so she knows when she does certain things she is going to time out or whatever it may be. Good Luck with this!!
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 5:32 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• My advice is to stay consistent, choose your battles, and remember that she's a child and learns best from play. Be consistent with your punishment. Get a mat for time out and if she doesn't listen, she sits on the mat for three minutes. Choose your battles. The first thing you should do before getting upset that she's not listening to your words is to make sure she's hearing them. You have to have her attention and make sure she understands what you're asking her to do. Also, make sure it's worth the argument. Sometimes in the middle of getting frustrated over my Dh not listening to me, I'll realize that I'm not saying anything that's important. Just remember to only ask what should be expected of her, and in small short commands, not long sentences of what she should do.

Also, key phrases while playing with a doll could really help. Such as, always listen to your mommy dolly etc.
    Flippindadaisie

Answer by Flippindadaisie at 8:09 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• It sound like she needs consistent discipline. If you've ever seen some of the SuperNanny episodes with kids like yours, it's exhausting just to watch it - never mind actually do it. It does get worse before it gets better so be prepared. 3 is a difficult age. Add to that a 1-year-old sibling, which will make it worse. Try being very consistent for a week and see if she changes.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 9:28 AM on Jun. 7, 2011