Looking for activities in our area for my 15 yo son who has aspergers.

The camps for special needs children are very pricey and my son cant attend regular camps. Before our adoption was final several organizations helped fund these activities but not now. The only thing he wants to do is play video games, but is very good at most sports, loves animals and loves to have friends his own age.

kathy4230

Asked by kathy4230 at 6:31 AM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Are there any centres in your area that provide support to children with special needs? Where I am, at least, they have some programs running but they also can let you know what's available. They may also be able to help figure out finances. Best of luck finding something great!
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 6:44 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• My sons 17 and high functioning. You know I have found the key is to find something they really can get into that is also safe. Last summer mine got into weight lifting so we got him some weights off craigslist cheap and had him lifting light amounts. He would also run which he loved. But we had to take him out and let him find something he liked doing. At 15 mine still was sedentary and wanted to play video games too. Maybe just try and find some balance somewhere. Sign him up for horse riding once a week or something like that> Also check the rec center and optimist clubs.

Answer by gemgem at 7:18 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Check with Parks & Rec for cheap sports programs, boy scouts, 4-H, check with the Y for teen programs, swimming lessons, etc.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 8:10 AM on Jun. 7, 2011