Anxiety

My 16 yr old has been having problems with this, he has been to the dr and the ER and they gave him some pills but he is still having the pains in his chest. I guess i do not know alot aout this any help and solutions would be great.

jenn4443

Asked by jenn4443 at 6:40 AM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Health

• Do you have a good relationship with your son? If you do, then having a heart to heart talk with him about the source of his anxiety would be far better than any pill. Most of us experience anxiety- yes sometimes to the point of illness. But, taking a pill is just relieving the symptoms and never gets down to the cause of the problem. The two of you would need to discover the cause.
    Does your son do any kind of sports? If not, it might be helpful to get involved in a sport or some other strenuous physical activity on a daily basis. Here in the US , pills are prescribed for any symptoms we present to health care providers. In England, they did a study that showed that exercise was more effective against depression than any medication. Maybe exercise will help with anxiety,too. Let me know how you make out.
    Rota

Answer by Rota at 7:26 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• My stepdaughter has anxiety issues and it's been tough for us too. The pills definitely helped but it takes therapy too.
    jteffs

Answer by jteffs at 6:46 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I have anxiety and do therapy. When I have an anxiety attack I try to make myself breathe in and out.
    mollgirl59

Answer by mollgirl59 at 7:10 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Rota, thanks for the good info and the others also. We are very close and i do know where the anxiety is coming from, he is picked on alot at school and just made to feel like crap some days, and it doesn't help when he has punks texting him and making comments on fb, but he has gotten rid of most of those people. I am hoping once school ends on Thursday that will help him alot that he can choose who he wants to be around, he doesn't like sports but he does enjoy running so i will encourage him to start doing that again.
    jenn4443

Comment by jenn4443 (original poster) at 7:55 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• As someone who suffers from anxiety on a daily basis, I can tell you that talking to someone will help, but you have to understand that it's not going to go away overnight. Get him a journal- it can be anything from a ream of paper to a spiral bound notebook to an actual journal- and have him write in it. I had to have meds as well to deal with mine, some people just do. Diet and exercise can play a role too- for example, caffeine exacerbates mine, as does sugar or any kind of energy drinks. I can have a little caffeine and a little sugar, but in excess, they make me nuts. lol Exercise can be therapeutic, especially if he enjoys it, like running. It's a great stress reliever.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 9:44 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• What type of pills? DD takes Zoloft for anxiety. It can take being on these for 6 weeks before you notice a difference. There are other thing he can be doing to help cope with this. Does he have a therapist?

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 9:54 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• his doctor gave him Zoloft but says it can take 4-6 weeks to take effect. When we went to the ER they gave him Adavan (sp), yes he does have a therapist i really do not think that is helping because the things he is excited about she doesn't want to talk about that.
    jenn4443

Comment by jenn4443 (original poster) at 11:16 AM on Jun. 7, 2011