Sleeping/Eating problem...

My daughter is 16 months old now. When we have dinner she eats what we do and loves it. She even usually has seconds. My SO, mother, and I agreed that there would be no food after the "one hour before bed" mark. The problem is that she has been waking up at one or two in the morning screaming her head off because she's hungry. She used to sleep through the night when we were still giving her bottles of milk, but we worked her off it slowly and now she goes to bed with just water. It might have something to do with it but I'm not sure. Can anyone think of anything I can do to get her back to sleeping through the night and not waking up hungry? (Everyone wakes up and no one is happy about it)

MoonTarot

Asked by MoonTarot at 1:28 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am having the same problem!!! I dont know if my DD is going through a growth spurt but I feel the same way about the drink thing. B/c now weve been having to wake her up late at night to change her b/c she soaks her bed! Last night she was flipping out and I got up and gave her some cheerios and water and she went to bed about 30 mins later! I feel ike if we keep doing it that she will "manipulate" us into doing this every night!! I dont know what to tell you ... Im just trying to stuff her full during the day with food! Let me know what you do! BTW my DD is 14 months. Just started this last week.
    kelsbecca619

Answer by kelsbecca619 at 1:36 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Even though you may not want to, give her a bowl of oatmeal just before bed. It'll stick with her longer then just dinner.
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 2:10 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I think the oatmeal thing is a great idea. It will sustain her through the night and might actually make her sleep latter in the morning. We did that with our twins, we would feed them the oatmeal about an hour before bed time then do a bath into bed. They would sleep through the night and even longer in the morning, which was great for us. We started going earlier and earlier, only by like 10-15 minutes, with the oatmeal until they didn't need it. I think now that they were going through a growth spurt. I also had them off the bottle at 11 mos. so that might be different too.
    Twinmommy8706

Answer by Twinmommy8706 at 2:34 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I'd let her have "dessert" ( a light snack and drink of milk) anywhere from an hour to half hour before bed. She's probably going through a growth spurt. Besides, as long as your making the pre-bed snack a healthy food choice, there's no harm in it.

BTW, Huggies Overnite diapers totally worth the extra money. We buy generic for our two year old twins and spend the extra dough on the overnites. We've been using them since the boys were 5 mos old and no more waking up during the night soaked!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:36 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I would try giving her a snack before bed time, like the others said. Oatmeal or cereal or something like that. I've done it with both of my boys at times. I'll give them a small snack and a little cup of milk. They do go through growth spurts where they will be more hungry.
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 3:51 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• FYI.. I tried the cereal thing last night and it worked! She was practically falling over before I put her down. When My hubby went in to change her inthe middle of the night he said when he layed her down she popped back up and he said "lay back down" and she did!! wow! Well gotta go get my wisdom teeth out..yeaah!
    kelsbecca619

Answer by kelsbecca619 at 10:28 AM on Dec. 11, 2008