Anyone watch "Devils Playground" last night?

It was on National Geographic about the Amish and how when they turn 16 they are not bound by the Amish belief and they can party and cut up as they wish but when they are adults they have to make the decision to join the Amish church and forget all they know about the outside world and give themselves completely to God.

I found it interesting and cool in one portion but at the same time they don't seem to be fully away from the outside world (not the kids at least) I saw a lot of them with trampolines when I lived in Maryland, sodas, pools and so on. Just curious as to what you all know about the Amish and what you think

jujubean1979200

Asked by jujubean1979200 at 7:37 AM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I have seen that before or some documentary like it I really can't place an opinion on it because of the extremeness from one life to the other. If the Amish believe this portion of their lives will rid them of bad behavior forever I have to say they are probably wrong. There are different sects of Amish depending on the areas and order they belong I have seen some to be very clean and conservative and very restricted in lifestyle and I have seen some to be quite filthy and have homes in serious disrepair. Some of the WalMarts in Tennessee have horse parking in the parking lots because they do their shopping there it seems a bit odd that the Amish would need to shop at WalMart.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:07 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I thought that too! We lived in Maryland for a while and they were shopping at Walmart and exposed to our lifestyle. Some go back and so do not. I think it is super dangerous in my opinion.
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 8:24 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I have seen that show. Watched it a while back. I also watched the wedding one. (Can't remember the name.) We have Amish here. They are not so cut off. Lots of dirty little secrets they have. I like the Amish.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 10:00 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I've seen it before but watched it again last night. I feel sorry for the kids. Like that one boy said, "How the hell am I (he) supposed to just forget about it all?

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 11:27 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I think it's kind of manipulative. On the face of it it seems to be about choice, see the way others live so you'll make an informed decision, but being out on your own as a regular 16 year old is bad enough, can you imagine what it would be like for such a sheltered kid? so it's kind of duress, like they hope the outside world scares them back to the group.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 2:30 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• That's all filmed here (aside from the bits in Florida). The NGC version is edited way down from the original. If you check out the full length version on netflix you'll see more of it.

The kids aren't nearly as sheltered as you would think. They all start working full time at 14, and they aren't working at home - they work retail or factory, surrounded on all sides by English. By the time they hit Rumspringa, they are anything but naive. It's a little different now - that's a really old documentary. A lot of them can't find jobs now at all, which makes it messier. But neither can anyone else.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:19 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I will have to check that out NP. Yeah I can't imagine how hard it would be and I didn't think they were that sheltered either. It seems they have full knowledge as do their parents of what goes on in the outside world which kind of makes me question the faith entirely. Its more an adult choice which I think it should be but at the same time I kind of feel like there is no parenting going on during their teens
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 4:20 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• There's nothing in the faith that's about shielding themselves from the outside world. It's more the opposite - it's about consciously rejecting the outside world, knowing full well what's in it. It's easy to say you reject bacon or chocolate, and never want anything to do with it, if you've never smelled or tasted it. It's far different to swear it off after you've tried it. Every month they go to Aldi and Walmart to buy all the basics they need to cook for the next month. They have to walk those aisles and reject the convenience foods while they pick out their flour and sugar and soap powder.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:34 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• oh i got ya. Yeah see, I was thinking something completely different. I understood they lived this "Shelter" life apart from everyone else for a reason. I guess we need to remember that no and days its harder. We don't have trade places much where they can get their supplies and so forth. It makes sense you know? They seem like really sweet people though-the ones that I met and they make their own food which I freaking admire so much.
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 4:39 PM on Jun. 7, 2011