Has anyone ever taken a long time after conception to get a positive hpt?

If so, how long?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:30 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Pregnancy

• my friend took had 3 negatives before she got a positive, however i don't know the time frame
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 1:36 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• The timing of a positive home pregnancy test depends on the timing of fertilization and implantation. If your periods are regular, and you conceive mid-cycle, you should expect that a hpt will be positive as soon as you miss your period. If the hcg level isn't high enough to give a positive hpt, it can be because 1) you are not pregnant, 2) you conceived later than you thought. There is also the possibility that you conceived, but the pregnancy is not viable. The best thing to do is repeat the hpt in a few days. If you are pregnant, the amount of hcg will double every couple of days. If you still don't get your period, and your periods are usually regular, it's time to visit your provider. They can do a blood test which is much more sensitive, and possibly other bloodwork or ultrasound to determine why your period is late.
    midwife-mom

Answer by midwife-mom at 1:40 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Midwife mom is right in a textbook scenario. I know exactly when I got pregnant (I was charting and it was the only time we had unprotected sex). All of the ultrasounds showed that my due date was correct as well. But I didn't get a positive test until my period was two weeks late because I'm just a low hcg producer, plain and simple. Actually my doctor said it's not that the levels were low, they were right where they were supposed to be on my bloodwork, but it doesn't come out in my urine as much as the average woman.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 1:56 PM on Dec. 10, 2008