I'm at wits end with bedtime???

I try to be so understanding with my 6 year old twin girls but bedtime is killing me! I have tried everything, they still want to play and giggle at bedtime to where it will take a hour after I put them down to actually go to sleep.. UUGGHH Any ideas??? I do give them a bath nightly to help calm them down and either read or let them watch tv........

mom2lilangels

Asked by mom2lilangels at 7:53 AM on Jun. 7, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• This is what I've done and most of the time it's been helpful. Once in bed I let them talk and laugh and 'unwind'. After 15 minutes I tell them that's enough it's time to go to sleep. Five minutes later if they are still talking and laughing I repeat myself and add....if I have to tell you again tomorrow you will go to bed 15 minutes earlier than normal. Most of the time they get quiet, sometimes they don't and I absolutely make them go to bed 15 minutes earlier the next night. It works for a while. Good Luck
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:06 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• It sounds like maybe you need to tighten up bedtime routine. Do they share a room? If they do it might be harder to get both to bed because they will keep engaging each other. If not then give them a firm warning and after that don't keep coming back to give them any more attention. Sometimes kids like pushing the envelope.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 8:09 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I was going to suggest a earlier bed time, but I think meooma says it best :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Yes do what meooma said. My kids were the same way especially my boys who werent twins shared a room. Yet I am a twin to a brother. Hence follow thru on what you say. Rituals like dinner, tv time baths brushing their teeth then story time helps the child(ren). Hence do as what was suggested. Sooner than you think it will sink in you mean business. Hope this helps as it was meant too. Btw I am one of six children! LOL
    CloudWeaver

Answer by CloudWeaver at 8:38 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Mine get an hour of downtime before I expect them to be asleep. So if you want them asleep at 8pm try putting them in their rooms in bed at 7pm. Tell them they have 1 hour to go to bed. They can giggle, talk, watch TV, read a book, but in an hour they are to be asleep or theyll be grounded the next day.

Answer by gemgem at 9:00 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I usually let mine kids giggle and play for a bit before they have to actually go to sleep. Bed time is at 8, but really, as along as they're asleep by 9, I'm ok.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:03 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Some may say the tv is a bad idea, but all my kids love falling asleep to the tv. The tv has never been a problem but my kids also know that if they're up there making noise, talking and what not it's LIGHTS OUT. They know i come up and shut the tvs off at 9 wether they're asleep or not. I think they've figured out if they want the tv time they better not be messing around lol. GL
    Genice6

Answer by Genice6 at 10:14 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• It sounds like they need a tighter bedtime routine but your routine sounds great already.
    Madelaine

Answer by Madelaine at 10:41 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Having the same problem with my 5 y/o,she won't go to sleep til we do. I'll be checking answers myself!
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 10:42 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• We put my daughter in her room at 9pm and do prayers and goodnights She has to stay in her room after 9m, if she stays up playing and doesn't go to sleep that's her own fault. Since we started this, and not letting her come back out of her room after 9pm she usually plays for 10 minutes then goes to sleep.
    AllThatBabyJazz

Answer by AllThatBabyJazz at 11:14 AM on Jun. 7, 2011