Do you think Romney could beat Obama?

he public opinion boost President Obama received after the killing of Osama bin Laden has dissipated, and Americans’ disapproval of how he is handling the nation’s economy and the deficit has reached new highs, according to a new Washington Post-ABC News poll.

The survey portrays a broadly pessimistic mood in the country this spring as higher gasoline prices, sliding home values and a disappointing employment picture have raised fresh concerns about the pace of the economic recovery.

By 2 to 1, Americans say the country is pretty seriously on the wrong track, and nine in 10 continue to rate the economy in negative terms. Nearly six in 10 say the economy has not started to recover, regardless of what official statistics may say, and most of those who say it has improved rate the recovery as weak.

New Post-ABC numbers show Obama leading five of six potential Republican presidential rivals tested in the poll. But he is in a dead heat with former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney, who formally announced his 2012 candidacy last week, making jobs and the economy the central issues in his campaign.

Among all Americans, Obama and Romney are knotted at 47 percent each, and among registered voters, the former governor is numerically ahead, 49 percent to 46 percent.

Overall, about six in 10 of those surveyed give Obama negative marks on the economy and the deficit. Significantly, nearly half strongly disapprove of his performance in these two crucial areas. Nearly two-thirds of political independents disapprove of the president’s handling of the economy, including — for the first time — a slim majority who do so strongly.

In another indicator of rapidly shifting views on economic issues, 45 percent trust congressional Republicans over the president when it comes to dealing with the economy, an 11-point improvement for the GOP since March. Still, nearly as many, 42 percent, side with Obama on this issue.

The president has sought to point to progress on the economy, particularly in the automobile industry, and to argue that the policies he put in place at the beginning of his term are working. But the combined effects of weak economic indicators and dissatisfaction among the public are adding to the political pressures on the White House as the president’s advisers look toward what could be a difficult 2012 reelection campaign.

Meanwhile, Romney emerges in the new survey as the strongest current or prospective Republican candidate in the 2012 presidential field. Although he is by no means in a secure spot, on virtually every measure, the former governor appears better positioned than any of his rivals.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/obama-loses-bin-laden-bounce-romney-on-the-move-among-gop-contenders/2011/06/06/AGT5wiKH_print.html

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 8:10 AM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I hope so.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:14 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• nope

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:24 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Romney care....and it covers abortion!

last I heard, that was pretty bad to some

sweet-a-kins

• I dont know who is going to beat Obama, but I know someone will. It is too soon to say who the front runner will be though.

Answer by gemgem at 8:44 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• It's way too early to tell. It all depends on what happens in the months to come. If unemployment goes up and the economy continues to tank, it will take less of a candidate to take his place. Just like in 2008, it may come down to anybody but Obama (just like it was anybody but Bush).

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:46 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Maybe. I think he's got the best shot out of all the pubs so far.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 8:48 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

•  

Maybe. I think he's got the best shot out of all the pubs so far.

I do agree with that

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:53 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I liked Romney last time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I hope there's someone better than Romney...I'd choose Romney if that's what it came down to. Where's the next Reagan our country really needs!?
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 9:18 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I don't think so. He's been far too inconsistent. He's a huge flip flopper. He's like a reed bending in the direction the political wind blows for him.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:26 AM on Jun. 7, 2011